editing 5d footage with new firmware at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:01 AM   #1
New Boot

editing 5d footage with new firmware

Hi All,

Does anyone know anything about what changes the new firmware will bring to the editing process?
eg
Will 5d footage still have to go through transcoding to edit it on a pc?

I use premier and would love to start editing 5d footage but i havnt started as yet as it sounds like a bit of a nightmare when i read the relevant posts.

Any clues anyone?
Simon J. Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

Depends on the version of your software. CS4 will edit it without transcoding, albeit processor intensive.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Major Player

It won't change your workflow at all except with respect to framerates: (1) the 30.00 to 29.97 change may affect your workflow, but if you use Cineform, I'm sure they will adjust their code accordingly (to not conform to 29.97 from the 30.00 and to not adjust audio length) and (2) if you were transcoding the 30p to 24p, well, of course, you won't need to do that step anymore. But as far as using proxies or intermediates, I think most of us will continue to do that because on that front, nothing has really changed, long-GOP MP4 is hard to edit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD