DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Beware of this invalid camera test (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/474062-beware-invalid-camera-test.html)

Manus Sweeney March 3rd, 2010 02:36 PM

Beware of this invalid camera test

Comparison tests of the Canon 5D Mark II, Sony PMW-EX3, RED One, Sony F35, and Arri D21 (the end of the clip is easier to see the comparisons)..

Maybe the picture profiles werent dialled down to a flat setting but its still pretty shocking!

Ben Cain - Negative Spaces - Michael Ballhaus: Over and Under Exposure Tests

Chris Barcellos March 3rd, 2010 02:59 PM

I assume what they label as D5 is the 5D Mark II.

I am not sure what that was all about since no sound was provided, but I don't think there is any surprise that video has less latitude than film..... Our challenge as film makers is to work within the medium we have.

Bill Grant March 3rd, 2010 04:12 PM

I'm so glad I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. I was very excited to see that the 5D looked almost the same as the rest.
Bill

Manus Sweeney March 3rd, 2010 04:16 PM

i guess you didnt watch the clip till the end!?

its the side by sides that were quite scary.. im sure theres many variables and reasons why it could have turned out so bad but i was curious to see what people think about it

Stephen Mick March 3rd, 2010 04:19 PM

Tests like this make me glad nobody watches movies in the "side-by-side-comparison" format. An interesting test, certainly, that changes nothing about how I work.

Richard Gooderick March 3rd, 2010 04:52 PM

I'm not even going to watch it.
Winter is too cold. Summer is too hot. The glass is half empty.
Life is too short.
;-)

Chris Barcellos March 3rd, 2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manus Sweeney (Post 1494431)
i guess you didnt watch the clip till the end!?

its the side by sides that were quite scary.. im sure theres many variables and reasons why it could have turned out so bad but i was curious to see what people think about it

we don't even know how they processed this stuff. 5D footage processed through Cineform recovers detail at both end of the spectrum, that Canon's codec preserves. So this is a real piece of junk "test" apparently sponsored by film sellers, from what I can tell...

Peer Landa March 3rd, 2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1494475)
we don't even know how they processed this stuff.

Doesn't even look like they white balanced the 5D.

-- peer

Manus Sweeney March 4th, 2010 03:30 AM

im pretty sure its a difference in saturation rather than in white balance.. i guess a DP with a cv like this wouldn't forget to white balance! (even if he didn't know how to flatten the picture profile) Michael Ballhaus (I)

personally im new to DSLR video (and a big supporter) and not long in video at all but i do like to follow developments in camera technology. For me the result of watching the test wasnt to say that HDDSLRs are bad, but its maybe a gentle reminder that there is a reason why an EX3 costs 4 times as much as a 5d and a red costs 4 times as much as an EX3.

For those that arent interested in these kind of comparisons, my apologies for posting but personally i found it quite eye opening and was genuninely curious about opinions on the results and the validity of the test..

Nicholas de Kock March 4th, 2010 09:26 AM

This test is quite flattering for Canon. Their consumer 5D tested along side the Sony F35, Arri D21 is a scary thought considering that the Sony F35 & D21 costs over $100k! The test is rather useless though, the only thing that really matters is what the image looks like properly exposed any over exposed footage is garbage on any camera. Having worked with the 5/7D it's clear that the 5D was not flattened out, looks like factory presets. Once again the 5DII is a $2500 camera compared to cameras over $100 000! Shocking!

This test displayed in cinema would look totally different I bet but on the web all cameras are equal.

Nigel Barker March 4th, 2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manus Sweeney (Post 1494679)
For me the result of watching the test wasnt to say that HDDSLRs are bad, but its maybe a gentle reminder that there is a reason why an EX3 costs 4 times as much as a 5d and a red costs 4 times as much as an EX3.

An Arri D21 or Sony F35 without lenses costs more to rent for one day than the 5DII costs to buy outright. Clairmont - HD/Digital Cameras

Nicholas de Kock March 4th, 2010 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
There is something "very" wrong with those side by side comparisons. Whoever did them must think we are complete idiots. The side by side on that Vimeo clip is a complete fix, I took screen shots of every exposure stage and compiled my own comparison. The saturation on the 5DII is not even normal, someone really cocked up.

Manus Sweeney March 4th, 2010 10:03 AM

well spotted!

certainly something fishy going on there.. ok i guess we can put an end to the thread and (for whoevers interested) wait for Philip Bloom and co's film vs HDDSLR results next week!

Ian G. Thompson March 4th, 2010 10:23 AM

This test is crazy off.

Jim Giberti March 4th, 2010 10:55 AM

First, For those of you that might be tempted to watch this - you'll be better people for not doing so.

Second - there are reasons why it's a good idea to have a pretty woman or at least a still life when doing a comparison test.