Beware of this invalid camera test at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Beware of this invalid camera test

Comparison tests of the Canon 5D Mark II, Sony PMW-EX3, RED One, Sony F35, and Arri D21 (the end of the clip is easier to see the comparisons)..

Maybe the picture profiles werent dialled down to a flat setting but its still pretty shocking!

Ben Cain - Negative Spaces - Michael Ballhaus: Over and Under Exposure Tests
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I assume what they label as D5 is the 5D Mark II.

I am not sure what that was all about since no sound was provided, but I don't think there is any surprise that video has less latitude than film..... Our challenge as film makers is to work within the medium we have.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm so glad I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. I was very excited to see that the 5D looked almost the same as the rest.
Bill
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Major Player

i guess you didnt watch the clip till the end!?

its the side by sides that were quite scary.. im sure theres many variables and reasons why it could have turned out so bad but i was curious to see what people think about it
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Tests like this make me glad nobody watches movies in the "side-by-side-comparison" format. An interesting test, certainly, that changes nothing about how I work.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm not even going to watch it.
Winter is too cold. Summer is too hot. The glass is half empty.
Life is too short.
;-)

Last edited by Richard Gooderick; March 4th, 2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus Sweeney View Post
i guess you didnt watch the clip till the end!?

its the side by sides that were quite scary.. im sure theres many variables and reasons why it could have turned out so bad but i was curious to see what people think about it
we don't even know how they processed this stuff. 5D footage processed through Cineform recovers detail at both end of the spectrum, that Canon's codec preserves. So this is a real piece of junk "test" apparently sponsored by film sellers, from what I can tell...
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
we don't even know how they processed this stuff.
Doesn't even look like they white balanced the 5D.

-- peer
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #9
Major Player

im pretty sure its a difference in saturation rather than in white balance.. i guess a DP with a cv like this wouldn't forget to white balance! (even if he didn't know how to flatten the picture profile) Michael Ballhaus (I)

personally im new to DSLR video (and a big supporter) and not long in video at all but i do like to follow developments in camera technology. For me the result of watching the test wasnt to say that HDDSLRs are bad, but its maybe a gentle reminder that there is a reason why an EX3 costs 4 times as much as a 5d and a red costs 4 times as much as an EX3.

For those that arent interested in these kind of comparisons, my apologies for posting but personally i found it quite eye opening and was genuninely curious about opinions on the results and the validity of the test..

Last edited by Manus Sweeney; March 4th, 2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Major Player

This test is quite flattering for Canon. Their consumer 5D tested along side the Sony F35, Arri D21 is a scary thought considering that the Sony F35 & D21 costs over $100k! The test is rather useless though, the only thing that really matters is what the image looks like properly exposed any over exposed footage is garbage on any camera. Having worked with the 5/7D it's clear that the 5D was not flattened out, looks like factory presets. Once again the 5DII is a $2500 camera compared to cameras over $100 000! Shocking!

This test displayed in cinema would look totally different I bet but on the web all cameras are equal.
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus Sweeney View Post
For me the result of watching the test wasnt to say that HDDSLRs are bad, but its maybe a gentle reminder that there is a reason why an EX3 costs 4 times as much as a 5d and a red costs 4 times as much as an EX3.
An Arri D21 or Sony F35 without lenses costs more to rent for one day than the 5DII costs to buy outright. Clairmont - HD/Digital Cameras
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Major Player

There is something "very" wrong with those side by side comparisons. Whoever did them must think we are complete idiots. The side by side on that Vimeo clip is a complete fix, I took screen shots of every exposure stage and compiled my own comparison. The saturation on the 5DII is not even normal, someone really cocked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Beware of this invalid camera test-original.jpg   Beware of this invalid camera test-screen-shot-compiled.jpg  

Old March 4th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #13
Major Player

well spotted!

certainly something fishy going on there.. ok i guess we can put an end to the thread and (for whoevers interested) wait for Philip Bloom and co's film vs HDDSLR results next week!
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #14
Major Player

This test is crazy off.
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Major Player

First, For those of you that might be tempted to watch this - you'll be better people for not doing so.

Second - there are reasons why it's a good idea to have a pretty woman or at least a still life when doing a comparison test.

Last edited by Pete Bauer; March 4th, 2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: flame bait
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD