First sightings of new firmware? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Wizard Status

First sightings of new firmware?

Canon says:
Quote:
Some brand-new EOS 5D Mark II cameras may appear before this date with firmware version 2.0.3 already factory-installed. These cameras do not need to be upgraded, once v. 2.0.3 becomes available on Canon web sites for download.
If anyone buys one of these cameras prior to the release date, please send me an email to arrange to try to dump the ROM. I would be very grateful to have some lead time with the new firmware before the official release.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Trustee

It is unbelievable that Canon won't front you the firmware.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
It is unbelievable that Canon won't front you the firmware.
Even more unbelievable it is that Canon hasn't yet hired him before (soon I bet) someone else will snatch him and his brilliance.

-- peer
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Chomping at the bit Tramm? I wish you could work for my company.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Trustee

Photos of the 5D Mark 2 with latest firmware update;

Bought 5d2, has new 2.03 firmware - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Attached Thumbnails
First sightings of new firmware?-img_8292.jpg   First sightings of new firmware?-img_8293.jpg  

Old March 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Trustee

thaz awesome news! Final hitting the shores this month. Anyway for the rest of us, its coming within 2 weeks so hang in there =)
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Wizard Status

Thanks to several anonymous contributors (and one non-anonymous -- Thanks Chris!), I have a working firmware dump of the 2.0.3 firmware. I'm working on it now in IDA and on my camera.

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Tramm,

I have one question about the new firmware: is there an option to turn on ALC? I'm going to do a juicedLink DN101 review soon, and I'd like to test it with ALC, but I'd also like to upgrade ASAP.

Thanks!
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Wizard Status

Jon -- the default is ALC on. You must select "Manual" gain to disable it and then can control the gain in the audio menu. It is really deep inside the menus to adjust the manual gain (Wrench 2 -> LiveView Func -> Sound Recording -> Sound rec / Rec level). You can see how to get there in my short video.

Why they didn't add the meters full-time to the liveview screen and a fast way to adjust the gain is a real puzzle to me. It isn't very useful buried so deeply in the menus.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Regular Crew

JuicedLink and AGC Defeat Meter Matching

I'm wondering if there's a way I can match very closely the input meters I'd see on a device like a JuicedLink with that of the 5D with the new manual audio mode.

Basically, I'd probably feel okay if I could keep half an eye on the audio meters of my JuicedLink assuming I knew that more or less identical levels were being recorded in camera.

May be a bad/unworkable idea, but a thought.
Steven Schuldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Steven, this looks like the only solution and I would think should work fine.

Is the input on the 5D line or mic or switchable? How about the JuicedLink output?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

25 fps?

Tramm, from that clip it seems there is no 25 fps as an option. Please tell me I am wrong.
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #13
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ridicki View Post
Tramm, from that clip it seems there is no 25 fps as an option. Please tell me I am wrong.
My camera is in NTSC mode. Select Wrench 2 -> Video System -> PAL and the 25fps options appear in Live View functions.
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Is the input on the 5D line or mic or switchable? How about the JuicedLink output?

The 5D2 is mic level only. That said, you want to turn the gain down low and feed a hot mic-level signal in. In fact, you want a HOT mic level signal. If you think about it, there's no real standard for mic level. Different mics have different sensitivities. Different recording situations present more or less sound.

The JL, on the other hand, is switchable between mic and line level. Now, line level *is* specified. One should be able to find some settings on the JL and 5D2 that give easily calibrated line levels. That'll be sweet for use with a separate field mixer and recorder. The 5D2/JL with line feed would give a great sync track and a viable backup if the main recording is lost.
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Tramm, thank you for swift clarification. (Sigh of relief)!
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD