DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   First sightings of new firmware? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/474085-first-sightings-new-firmware.html)

Tramm Hudson March 3rd, 2010 10:05 PM

First sightings of new firmware?

Canon says:
Quote:

Some brand-new EOS 5D Mark II cameras may appear before this date with firmware version 2.0.3 already factory-installed. These cameras do not need to be upgraded, once v. 2.0.3 becomes available on Canon web sites for download.
If anyone buys one of these cameras prior to the release date, please send me an email to arrange to try to dump the ROM. I would be very grateful to have some lead time with the new firmware before the official release.

Mike Watson March 3rd, 2010 10:19 PM

It is unbelievable that Canon won't front you the firmware.

Peer Landa March 3rd, 2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1494587)
It is unbelievable that Canon won't front you the firmware.

Even more unbelievable it is that Canon hasn't yet hired him before (soon I bet) someone else will snatch him and his brilliance.

-- peer

Jim Giberti March 4th, 2010 11:01 AM

Chomping at the bit Tramm? I wish you could work for my company.

Tony Davies-Patrick March 4th, 2010 04:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Photos of the 5D Mark 2 with latest firmware update;

Bought 5d2, has new 2.03 firmware - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Sean Seah March 8th, 2010 12:16 AM

thaz awesome news! Final hitting the shores this month. Anyway for the rest of us, its coming within 2 weeks so hang in there =)

Tramm Hudson March 9th, 2010 08:41 PM

Thanks to several anonymous contributors (and one non-anonymous -- Thanks Chris!), I have a working firmware dump of the 2.0.3 firmware. I'm working on it now in IDA and on my camera.

Jon Fairhurst March 9th, 2010 09:51 PM

Hi Tramm,

I have one question about the new firmware: is there an option to turn on ALC? I'm going to do a juicedLink DN101 review soon, and I'd like to test it with ALC, but I'd also like to upgrade ASAP.

Thanks!

Tramm Hudson March 9th, 2010 10:11 PM

Jon -- the default is ALC on. You must select "Manual" gain to disable it and then can control the gain in the audio menu. It is really deep inside the menus to adjust the manual gain (Wrench 2 -> LiveView Func -> Sound Recording -> Sound rec / Rec level). You can see how to get there in my short video.

Why they didn't add the meters full-time to the liveview screen and a fast way to adjust the gain is a real puzzle to me. It isn't very useful buried so deeply in the menus.

Steven Schuldt March 9th, 2010 10:39 PM

JuicedLink and AGC Defeat Meter Matching

I'm wondering if there's a way I can match very closely the input meters I'd see on a device like a JuicedLink with that of the 5D with the new manual audio mode.

Basically, I'd probably feel okay if I could keep half an eye on the audio meters of my JuicedLink assuming I knew that more or less identical levels were being recorded in camera.

May be a bad/unworkable idea, but a thought.

Tim Polster March 9th, 2010 10:57 PM

Steven, this looks like the only solution and I would think should work fine.

Is the input on the 5D line or mic or switchable? How about the JuicedLink output?

Daniel Ridicki March 10th, 2010 12:10 AM

25 fps?

Tramm, from that clip it seems there is no 25 fps as an option. Please tell me I am wrong.

Tramm Hudson March 10th, 2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Ridicki (Post 1497390)
Tramm, from that clip it seems there is no 25 fps as an option. Please tell me I am wrong.

My camera is in NTSC mode. Select Wrench 2 -> Video System -> PAL and the 25fps options appear in Live View functions.

Jon Fairhurst March 10th, 2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1497373)
Is the input on the 5D line or mic or switchable? How about the JuicedLink output?

The 5D2 is mic level only. That said, you want to turn the gain down low and feed a hot mic-level signal in. In fact, you want a HOT mic level signal. If you think about it, there's no real standard for mic level. Different mics have different sensitivities. Different recording situations present more or less sound.

The JL, on the other hand, is switchable between mic and line level. Now, line level *is* specified. One should be able to find some settings on the JL and 5D2 that give easily calibrated line levels. That'll be sweet for use with a separate field mixer and recorder. The 5D2/JL with line feed would give a great sync track and a viable backup if the main recording is lost.

Daniel Ridicki March 10th, 2010 03:45 AM

Tramm, thank you for swift clarification. (Sigh of relief)!