Field monitors that work with the 5D2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Field monitors that work with the 5D2

I'm curious to know what HDMI field monitors work with the 5D Mark II.

The problem is that the 5D2 (and, apparently, the T2i) switches to 480 lines when recording. My computer monitor works great when reviewing 5D2 footage or playing Live View in 1080, but when I hit record, the monitor doesn't respond and the camera locks up. Pulling the battery brings the camera back to life. I've tested one television that presented the same problem.

So, what HDMI field monitors support the 5D2 successfully? I'm interested in the SmallHD DP1, a Marshall, an Ikan, or any recommendations you might have.

Requirements: 7 to 10 inches, battery power, mountable, compatible with 5D2. Of course, long battery life, a bright image, solid construction and a quality image are desirable. But if it doesn't work with the 5D format switch, it's out of the running!
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Jon. There's a few threads on the 7" Lilliput 669GL lcd that is inexpensive at under $200, and works well with the 5D Mark II and the 7D. I bought two of them, one for my 5D, and my conventional Panasonic HMC150. It's a great value alternative to the Marshalls, SmallHD, Ikans, Manhattans, etc.

Off topic, i'm hoping the new canon 5d firmware includes earphone/headphone audio monitoring through the av jack just like Trammell's magic lantern firmware.
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

SmallHD DP1. A really good 7" HD monitor and it can be tweaked to include all the cameras frame nicely. I imagine that you wouldn't trust it to set your black level exposure but otherwise I love it with this camera.
The black canvas shield does a pretty good job of making it usable in bright exterior light but of course that's always a problem area with external monitors.
I'm using the mini batteries that they sell and they last a couple of hours.
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Trustee

two votes for SmallHD...works great with my T2i. Batteries last 2 hours, resolution is great! And it's actually 8.9"
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Major Player

A bit off topic question: When using an external monitor, will the 5DII live-view turn off or can it be run in conjunction with an external monitor?

-- peer
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Unfortunately the live view turns off after connecting a hdmi lcd monitor. One alternative is to get a powered hdmi splitter for two external lcd monitors.
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The DP1 is my preference. Glad to hear that it does the 1080/480 switch well.
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Major Player

another vote for Small HD DP1, though they will be adding new monitors this spring/summer?
Mestizo Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

You put a question mark at the end of that sentence ?

The market for 5DII, 7D and 1DIV accessories is in it's infancy. Monitors and viewfinders will be the most in demand and Pacific rim manufacturers will clearly bring the price points down while raising the quality.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Jon:

I just got the Marshall V-LCD-70XP- HDMI as a prize in the DV/UWOL Charity Challenge.

I had it out today, and I am learing a few things that I have not seen on my prior monitors like the LCD4Video.

I haven't played with all the features yet, as I am recovering from angiogram cardiac intervention, but I already see some nice benefits.

First, the monitor has 4 programmable function button, that come in handy with the 5D. One function is the pixel to pixel function which serve pretty well in the change over. This is a seven inch monitor, and the screen is never filled by the image from the 5D, but the pixel to pixel setting does get a pretty close approximation of the 16:9 image, though it is still slightly distorted. I have that on my number one function button, and then on 2 i can quickly switch to 4:3 which give a bit smaller image on the screen, but a truer aspect ratio.

The other aspect I have become facinated with today, is the "false color" setting. I have that on one of the function keys too. so I can invoke it momentarily to set up exposure. What is cool about it is that it change the shot to distinct colors, each assigned to an IRE level. If you adjust your exposure so that faces show up at pink, or gray, the rest of the exposure fall in line well. This works better, at least in my initial trials, than the Magic Lantern zebras we have been using.

I am going to post something more on this and its relationship to the 5D in the near future. I will let you know when I do.
Old March 7th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris. That's great info. The false colors and easy to access buttons would be solid advantages. Please let me know what accessories/batteries/adapters you would recommend with that monitor.

Congrats on winning the monitor!

And best wishes for long and excellent health!!!
Old March 7th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Inner Circle

They have you order a battery mount of choice. I had a lot of Sony L batteries for my VX2000 and FX1, so I ordered that. I haven't ordered any other accesories. I mounted it to my rails sytem with an extra rail block I had bought it sits on a Manfrotto swivel I had for my monopod. Should work great, even when I attach my shoulder mount behind it. See pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Field monitors that work with the 5D2-dsc08419.jpg  
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris!
Old March 7th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Major Player

<<switches to 480 lines when recording>>
Either these two monitors will still only show the screen in 480 lines correct? I mean isn't that the make output during recording?
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Ikan

Hey Jon -

I've used the Ikan V8000HDMI
(which can be rented here in Portland from Pro Photo) - the monitor itself is decent, and does all the basic monitoring duties. You can order it with a battery mount of your choice, but the build of the battery mount is terrible. The positive lock is worthless, and the high-tech method to keep it attached it to the monitor is an velcro/elastic band. Also the ball joint hot shoe/attachment is worthless.

One note/question - it works great with the standard canon firmware. With ML running, it won't draw the overlay BMP file properly - it attempts to grid it, at a smaller size.

-andy
Andy Batt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD