DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Please tell me I'm not crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/474139-please-tell-me-im-not-crazy.html)

Buba Kastorski March 4th, 2010 03:28 PM

Please tell me I'm not crazy

because I'm not sure of it anymore;
My 5Dmkii had a dead pixel on LCD almost right after I bought it, ( about 9 months); as I'm busy all the time decided to wait till downtime (still have a warranty), recently I noticed another dead one, but on the sensor, so i went to Canon Canada service.
never mind I had the worst ever experience with customer service, and after multiple attempts to pick up my camera, (it wasn't ready when they called me to pick it up) my 5D, while recording video, changes aperture automatically - in manual mode. (latest firmware)
Canon Canada tells me it functions as designed.
am I crazy, or do I need to find another place to fix my camera?
thanks in advance

Bill Binder March 4th, 2010 04:16 PM

I'll bet good money you're in Auto ISO mode and it's not your aperture changing, it's just your exposure changing b/c of the Auto ISO. Then again, I could be completely off base.

Jim Giberti March 4th, 2010 05:16 PM

I'm with Bill on this Buba...check auto ISO.

If you're not doing so already, the best way to insure against surprises like that is to set your camera up exactly the way you want it and save it as a Custom Setting and always set your dial there before you shoot.

Buba Kastorski March 4th, 2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Binder (Post 1495017)
I'll bet good money you're in Auto ISO mode

no, I was @ ISO100

Daniel Epstein March 4th, 2010 07:24 PM

Record some footage call them back and ask to talk to a manager and that you want to show them the sample. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good Luck

Bill Binder March 4th, 2010 09:12 PM

Turn off the camera, pull the battery out for a few seconds, put it back in, turn it on, go back to M mode, ensure that you're not in Auto ISO, and try again.

Buba Kastorski March 4th, 2010 09:14 PM

I've been "squeaking" for a week,
but probably, that's the next option I have,
thanks.

Buba Kastorski March 4th, 2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Binder (Post 1495158)
Turn off the camera, pull the battery out for a few seconds, put it back in, turn it on, go back to M mode, ensure that you're not in Auto ISO, and try again.

I did that quite a few times, no help, in M mode camera works like in full auto,
plus when I move camera while recording video from darker area to the bright light, LCD "blinks" and flashes, and those are in the video - but Canon Canada Service super tells me that they "consulted with the tech. support" and according to them my camera is 100% functional and I need to pick it up from them.
I know that I'm not crazy, it's just when few canon authorized people look at your face and tell you some BS you start thinking, well maybe I'm wrong?
thanks for all replies,
I wonder if there any other place I can fix my camera, I already lost two weeks

Chris Barcellos March 4th, 2010 11:15 PM

Same thing happened on mine when I got it back. Sounds to me like you didn't go through set up with camera like when you first got it, and camera is not set in movie mode. If it isn't, you will not have real manual.

1. Turn camera on

2/ Select Menu, and navigate to Live View/Movie Function set. (6th screen down) Select it.

3. Select LV Func. Setting

4. Select stills and movies

5. Then select "movie display".

"Simulated Exposure" will not work and will act like auto exposure when shooting footage.

That should do it.

Buba Kastorski March 8th, 2010 07:21 PM

thank you all for the replies, now my camera back and works as it used to, no autoexposure,
but dead pixel appears again on ISO 6400 :)

Randy Durham October 28th, 2010 12:39 PM

Thank you for pointing that out Chris! We are on a shoot and I just had the 5D Mark II returned from Canon and was having this issue. Now we're back in business. :cool: