DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Do any follow focus units fit large diameter lenses? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/474774-do-any-follow-focus-units-fit-large-diameter-lenses.html)

David W. Taylor March 14th, 2010 02:06 PM

Do any follow focus units fit large diameter lenses?

I would like to fit a follow focus onto a Canon 70-200mm IS f2.8. That's a pretty big lens with a diameter on the focus ring of about 11inches (28cm).
The D-focus video shows it on a big Canon 85mm but I'm not sure how big that lens adaptor is. Many other manufacturers seem not to make any large diameter adaptor rings at all.
I also use the 70-200 with a Canon 2x adaptor, so a long rail system will be needed as well.
The camera body to lens focus ring distance is just 9.5inches (24cm)
Anybody know of a suitable follow focus and rails?

Louis Maddalena March 14th, 2010 03:04 PM

I just checked redrock micro.. You can get their follow focus, long rails and their dslr base plate. You will also need a cheeseplate so that you can mount it on your tripod.

You need lens gear size C according to the people at redrock. If you get the 3 pack and get B, C , D then one will fit and you can use the other 2 for lenses.

Peer Landa March 14th, 2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Taylor (Post 1499527)
I would like to fit a follow focus onto a Canon 70-200mm IS f2.8. That's a pretty big lens with a diameter on the focus ring of about 11inches (28cm).

I easily fit a CineCity follow focus ring on this lens:

-- peer

Pedro Martins March 17th, 2010 07:12 PM

Hi Peer

i just bought the cinecity follow focus ring with rail system. I think the follow focus it's ok, but i'm not happy with the rail system. What are you using in the video? what do you recomend?

Thanks
Pedro Martins

Dennis Wood March 19th, 2010 09:10 PM

We recently launched a new version of our 360 degree full rotation lens gears for lens with focus rings up to 4.5" on diameter.

Cheers,
Dennis Wood
www.cinevate.com

Peer Landa April 6th, 2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro Martins (Post 1501194)
Hi Peer
i just bought the cinecity follow focus ring with rail system. I think the follow focus it's ok, but i'm not happy with the rail system. What are you using in the video? what do you recomend?

Sorry to get back to you so late (been gone from DvInfo too long ;^)
Anyways -- also I got the rail & shoulder sys from CineCity, but quickly decided to get rid of it. Instead I did a DIY with components from Redrock, DFocus, and Home Depot. The carbon rods were custom made by a small company, CFTS, in Salt Lake City.

-- peer

Cody Dulock April 6th, 2010 11:42 AM

I use the redrock lens gears with no problems on the 70-200.

Richard Hunter April 7th, 2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Taylor (Post 1499527)

Hi David. Are you sure you don't mean 11" circumference? If it's really 11" diameter it must be quite a monster.

Richard

Buba Kastorski April 7th, 2010 08:13 PM

Canon 70-200mm diameter is a bit larger tan 3", so I'd say it's normal and any FF will do,
(Cinecity, Cavision, Cinevate, Zacuto)
but if you really need something for the monster lens here you go:
Introducing OConnor’s CFF-1 Studio Follow Focus | CineTechnica

Peer Landa April 7th, 2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski (Post 1511449)
Canon 70-200mm diameter is a bit larger tan 3", so I'd say it's normal and any FF will do, (Cinecity, Cavision, Cinevate, Zacuto) but if you really need something for the monster lens here you go: Introducing OConnor’s CFF-1 Studio Follow Focus | CineTechnica

Yeah, the O'Connor is truly the Bugatti of follow focuses, and ringing in at $4,500.

-- peer