REVISED v.2.0.4 -- Canon 5D Mark II 2.0.4 Firmware (24p) Available - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 17th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Downloaded the new firmware and installed all in about 30mins. I really like the audio control. It definitely makes the sound recorded much better. Love it. But can't see what the fuss was with 24p. Can't make out any difference between 24p and 25p. Maybe its just me.
Alex Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chong View Post
But can't see what the fuss was with 24p. Can't make out any difference between 24p and 25p. Maybe its just.
I guess you meant to say 30p vs. 25p...?

-- peer
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
I guess you meant to say 30p vs. 25p...?

-- peer

Yes, this too.
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #34
Regular Crew

@Alex Chong:

The advantage of having 24, 25 and 30 p is you do not need convert the framerate.

- If you want make a DVD / Blu-Ray for Europe you can shoot in 25p.
- If you want make a DVD / Blu-Ray for Amerika you can shoot in 30p.
- And if you want to go on big screen or make a 24p Blu-Ray you can shoot in 24p.

In each case you do not need any framerate conversion and that is nice. A conversion between 24p and 25p is not a problem but conversion between 24 / 25 p and 30p is very tricky and time consuming.

Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Hi Daniel,

I know that. I am just saying when I played the videos captured with both 24, 25 and 30 and played it on my LCD TV, I can't tell the difference. It's just me I guess.

24 has this movie effect thingy people here have been talking about which I can't discern.
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #36
Major Player

Glad I'm not the only one Alex…

They all look good to me.

I'm just glad that now my 5D2 and the 2 7Ds we use are all set up the same frame rate wise.

(apart from the 50/60 of course)

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #37
Regular Crew

@Alex Chong:

The movie effect is not only given with 24p - its also given with 25p and with 30p.

The movie effect is not given with 50i, 60i, 50p and 60p.

Daniel
Daniel von Euw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #38
Trustee

I'm not too impressed with the updated sound recording options. Is there any way of viewing the sound bars while recording instead of delving deep through menus for a quick look prior to recording? I'd hoped for an ovelay option like the histogram in Manual video mode...but no such luck.
I'd mainly hoped that with the firmware update I could control the horrible squelch using the manual control option, but it doesn't. My WRT wireless mic system allows me to use headphones with the 5D so I obtain a good idea of sound levels during recording, but obtaining decent clean sound using the 5D is still not an option at the moment, so I'm going to go back to the drawing board. I'm still trying out options but none seem to work to obtain nice clean sound. Is there anybody actually getting good sound direct into the 5D...if so, I'd like to know.
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #39
Major Player

Managed a successful download in two tries yesterday. The first one was a "short" download, i.e. incomplete. A second try got the full package.

I figured Magic Lantern wouldn't work, BUT the only things I can see that are missing in this firmware upgrade are the automatic follow focus, and the frame guides (though I'm sure there are more). So far, I'm real happy with the results.

Martin
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
I'm not too impressed with the updated sound recording options. Is there any way of viewing the sound bars while recording instead of delving deep through munus for a quick look prior to recording? I'd hoped for an ovelay option like the histogram in Manual video mode...but no such luck.
I'd mainly hoped that with the firmware update I could control the horrible squelch using the manual control option, but it doesn't. My WRT wireless mic system allows me to use headphones with the 5D so I obtain a good idea of sound levels during recording, but obtaining decent clean sound using the 5D is still not an option at the moment, so I'm going to go back to the drawing board. I'm still trying out options but none seem to work to obtain nice clean sound. Is there anybody actually getting good sound direct into the 5D...if so, I'd like to know.
OPTION ONE:
You need this:
Camcorder XLR Audio Adapter/Preamp: Buy Direct and Save - CX211 Allows you to input the audio into the microphone jack and adjust the trim knobs if needed while recording.
And this:
juicedLink: New Product Preview: DN101 DSLR Audio Solution Gives you a meter and allows you to plug headphones in.

You would need to generate a tone and "lock in" the Canon's internal audio gain to the correct setting, and you would then only use the JuicedLink for audio controls.

OPTION TWO:
Wait for Magic Lantern update to give us back our beloved audio meters and headphones.
Richard Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #41
Trustee

Thank you Richard. I don't think the juicedLink is good enough, at least everything I've heard so far with people testing it to the 7D and 5D.
I think the problem is plugging sound directly into the 5D and most options are only slightly better work-a-rounds. I think I'm spoilt with decent XLR cables and sound options in the XL2 and XL-H1, so am searching for similar clean professional level sound option for the 5D and D3s; but still not found one.

The best sound so far seems to be with the seperate sound devices such as the Zoom 4 and Zoom 4n. I'd rather hook up sound direct to 5D but maybe the Zoom is now my only viable option, and at least I can connect my XLR leads into the Zoom and then download the clean sound files for editing without it going through the 5D onto the CF card.
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #42
Regular Crew

It seems that a lot of people were under the misconception that the firmware update would somehow miraculously solve all 5D sound problems. Aside from the ability to to overcome auto-gain and the imperceptable shift from 44 to 48KHz very there is no great improvement here. We still have the crappy 5D preamps which (as a general rule) will only be usable for particularly loud sound sources. From my perspective this upgrade just brings us to more or less where we were with Magic Lantern, but without overlayed onscreen monitoring. As such I think Jon Fairhurst's analysis is as relevant as ever.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-complete.html
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Well, I honestly based my decision off this series of videos comparing the options. It seems they conclude that the Juiced Link is the best option over external recorders.
But until Magic Lantern is updated to work with 2.0.3, I am thinking that an external is the best choice. Since I already have the JuicedLink, I'm choosing to wait for ML update. It seems the JL sounds better IMO, plus you don't need to sync in post.
Richard Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #44
Inner Circle

I actually believe there was one thing left out of Jon Fairhurst's series of tests on 5D sound. He didn't cover the use of a field mixer feeding the 5D through an XLR adapter like the CX231 or the even one of the unpowered Beachteks. In my experience, that combination will get you great in camera sound.
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #45
New Boot

Problems?

Seen this?

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/5dmarkII_203popup.pdf
Grant Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD