DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   New Firmware & Zoom H4n (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/474877-new-firmware-zoom-h4n.html)

James Miller March 16th, 2010 03:42 AM

New Firmware & Zoom H4n

Set up test:
• Canon 5Dmk2 with new firmware.
• Zoom H4n Recorder.
• Stereo Mini Jack Splitter.
• Stereo Mini Jack male to male.

Reason for test: to delay normal working day by a few minutes and because it's fun.

Zoom H4n internal mic test, Rec level set to 85, volume output set to 75, 5Dmk2 manual audio level set to first notch before cut off, level 1 out of 63. You would obviously not compensate the Rec level for the sake of recording in to the 5Dmk2 as a reference audio track.

Headphone in the other side of the jack to monitor. Off course the headphone would act as a mic so a simply inline push to connect button would let you monitor from the headphones where necessary, unless you have quiet ears without a case of the Star Trek ear worm. P.S. Turn up in camera gain to listen to thoughts.

Josh Fung March 16th, 2010 03:43 AM

New Firmware audio vs H4.... still not as good

any one else get the same thing? getting a fair bit of noise compared to audio from H4..

Tested with ME66, RodeVideo Mic (both with normal and lowcut filters), Sennheiser EW100 G1 wireless.. into Juicelink -> 5D

vs

H4 (not n) line out into 5D... using above mics..

Bill Binder March 16th, 2010 10:01 AM

It's no surprise that a better mic (hotter too) will perform better. Also no surprise that a dedicated recorder would perform better. Also no surprise that a pro recorder would blow them all away. Isn't this what you expected? That said, at least it's usable now without ML, although once ML is back out for the new FW, I'd probably start using it again just for real-time levels and zebras alone.

Ben Denham March 17th, 2010 05:27 AM

I agree Bill. No surprises here. No amount of firmware updating is going to fix this camera's crappy preamps.

Jon Fairhurst March 18th, 2010 05:03 PM

> "No amount of firmware updating is going to fix this camera's crappy preamps."

But a clean preamp upstream will...

Tony Davies-Patrick March 18th, 2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Fung (Post 1500215)
any one else get the same thing? getting a fair bit of noise compared to audio from H4..

Tested with ME66, RodeVideo Mic (both with normal and lowcut filters), Sennheiser EW100 G1 wireless.. into Juicelink -> 5D

vs

H4 (not n) line out into 5D... using above mics..

That is why I'm sticking to the H4/H4n units plus XLR leads and external radio mics for now, and using the 5D mic just for reference during post.

Wayne Avanson March 19th, 2010 06:14 AM

me too.

It's nice to be able to control the signal going into the 5D2 to stop it boosting noise in the quiet sections, and distorting when someone starts to talk (in interview for instance) but the best quality for me at the moment is still the H4n and good mics.

Thanks Jon for your excellent tests, much appreciated!

Avey