Video on DSLRs is still a gimmick? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 16th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I don't understand owning a Nikon D5000 now, knowing you want a Canon 5D Mark III in the future, why not sell the Nikon and get something to help you become more familiar with Canon so when the time comes, you aren't having to learn a new camera?

Or stay with Nikon and get a FF video monster like the D3s? http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...25466/D3S.html

Owning both to me is just silly.
Christopher McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Tell him that people that shoot video with DSLRs grown a Unicorn horn out of their forehead and wherever they walk, Wood Nymphs and Sprites shower the sidewalk in front of them with gold coins. He is just jealous that he doesn't have a horn and pocket full o' Gold. We all do and let me tell ya, it is sweet.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I've been a photographer for quite some time now and after a acquiring 5DII I've decided to check into its video abilities. I would not call it a gimmick but I would not call it a serious professional video camera as well. Its perfectly fine for some applications but it's just not up to par to do serious work. Member of this forum are die hard fans of DSLRs and I will become a target of stupid replies but if you really want to get a whole picture I suggest visiting a few forums and hearing other opinions as well.
Ilya Mamonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Here's the bottom line. If you want to shoot filmic video with a camera budget of less than $20k, you pretty much have three solutions: a RED ONE ($17k), an HD video cam with a 35mm adapter (maybe $7-10k, and it loses lots of light), or a DvSLR ($800 - $5k).

If your friend has a better solution for making a filmic video *today* with a camera that costs less than $5k - and for as little as $800, he's welcome to offer suggestions.

Would I rather shoot on a RED ONE, or on 35mm film? Sure! Please have your friend make out the check to J-O-N F-A-I...
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Mamonov View Post
Member of this forum are die hard fans of DSLRs and I will become a target of stupid replies but if you really want to get a whole picture I suggest visiting a few forums and hearing other opinions as well.
It's not simply a matter of what people are saying, just look at the imagery produced by these cameras. In the hands of a professional they can create unbelievable work. I really don't see how that can be argued against.

I think there's a pretty strong consensus that DSLRs are in no way a full replacement for traditional video cameras, but they do have significant advantages which, used properly, can produce images simply not available at these prices previously.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #21
Major Player

Honestly guys…

When are we just going to leave this alone?

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
Honestly guys…

When are we just going to leave this alone?

Avey
Sorry, this was my first post on the topic. I hadn't come across this discussion before, didn't realize it had been covered.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
It's not simply a matter of what people are saying, just look at the imagery produced by these cameras. In the hands of a professional they can create unbelievable work. I really don't see how that can be argued against.

I think there's a pretty strong consensus that DSLRs are in no way a full replacement for traditional video cameras, but they do have significant advantages which, used properly, can produce images simply not available at these prices previously.
I agree, and this is why I was trying to make a point and gather feedback that its not a "gimmick", but it doesn't really matter anymore as I've found out he was just being immature with his comments and has proven he doesn't know much about the subject anyway. I'm sorry to have brought you all into his kid games, my apologies.
Christopher McCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #24
Major Player

I'm doing very serious work with my 5D mkII. I'm doing event work with it. All of the things it is supposedly not suited for. So, these things sound like opinions to me. But, I appear to be the execption.
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD