Pentacon Six Zeiss Glass - Sharp enough for 5D Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Pentacon Six Zeiss Glass - Sharp enough for 5D Video

Hi all,

I wanted to check and see whether anyone has had any experience using these classic Zeiss lenses with their 5D? I've heard great things about them, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience/footage.

Many thanks,

Nick
Nick Papworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
New Boot

While I don't have experience with this era of Zeiss lenses, I find that my EF Canon 28-135 is certainly sharp enough for video, but I definitely do not use it for critical still photography. Even an EF 24-105 L lens isn't up to my spec in that area. This is comparing to a TS-E 90mm or EF 100mm macro. The reduced resolution when shooting video is more of a limiting factor than the lens.

I would watch for flare/contrast issues as the older lens coatings are much inferior to modern multicoated lenses. That said, I'm sure they would work great with the right technique.
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the Flektogon 50mm f4:

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 50mm f4 - Manual Focus Lenses

My copy is decently sharp for photography, plenty of sharpness for video.

I think mine is not multi-coated, and also it must be a bit radioactive as the colours are very warm compared to my other glass.

I use it with a shift adapter, and with a tilt adapter - very cheap way of getting shift or tilt around the 50mm focal length!
Mike Hannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Major Player

a fantastic lens I love it, goes with an apaptor on welcome to the club.
I do have it on my Silvestri flexicam and the Canon,
digital ready is a scam...
Régine Weinberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD