DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Zacuto Camera Shootout (5Dmk2, 7D, 1DmkIV, T2i, D3s, GH1 & Film) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/475529-zacuto-camera-shootout-5dmk2-7d-1dmkiv-t2i-d3s-gh1-film.html)

Jenn Kramer March 24th, 2010 07:41 PM

Zacuto Camera Shootout (5Dmk2, 7D, 1DmkIV, T2i, D3s, GH1 & Film)

The first episode of the Zacuto camera shootout is up. Some very cool results and I'm sure it'll only get more interesting.

The Great Camera Shootout 2010 | Zacuto

Jenn Kramer March 24th, 2010 07:48 PM

It's nice knowing that Phil's still shooting mainly with his 5D and the tests so far have certainly backed that up. Considering how fast this technology is developing it's great when a year and a half old camera is still state of the art.

Kirk Candlish March 24th, 2010 08:02 PM

In L.A. the 7D is seeing a lot more action in the big name studios, from what I've seen.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...s-opening.html

And in the Indie market.

TINY FURNITURE - A Film By Lena Dunham

Kevin Dooley March 24th, 2010 08:06 PM

That actually makes sense since studios want 24p and the indie market typically looks for the best bang for the buck. That may not be true in the future though (at least for the studios) with the addition of 24p to the 5D.

Brian Boyko March 24th, 2010 08:15 PM

I'm not getting more than a frame per second viewing that video, even when I let it load up for a while. Is it on YouTube anywhere?

Jenn Kramer March 24th, 2010 09:57 PM

The 7D also outputs a higher HDMI resolution while shooting which makes larger, multi-person setups easier.

Jon Fairhurst March 24th, 2010 11:00 PM

With photo lenses, I prefer the 5D2, since it can use fast primes and deliver a wide image.

In Hollywood, some have access to matched sets of lenses for Super 35, which has a frame size similar to the 7D sensor. If I had access to those lenses, I'd shoot on the 7D too. :)

Ben Denham March 25th, 2010 05:36 AM

This is by far the most professional and relevant set of comparisons that I've seen so far. It is well worth waiting for this video to load if your connection isn't up to speed. Can't wait for part 2.

Jeff Murray March 25th, 2010 05:50 AM

Enjoyed the video

I have to say I enjoyed the 'tests' and the video. For an amateur it's a fascinating comparison and rewarding to think that we can shoot on devices that approaches those used for the big screen.

The clarity of the film was stunning, especially in the light bulb scene.

Looking forward to episode 2.

Steven Fokkinga March 25th, 2010 06:51 AM

So was the film at the end about the ranch made with the 5D? That wasn't exactly clear to me from the comments...

Jerry Porter March 25th, 2010 08:38 AM

Yes it was shot with the 5D

Bryan McCullough March 25th, 2010 08:43 AM

Here's his blog post about it:

New 5DmkII firmware here finally! New Skywalker Ranch short “Above Skywalker” and Music Video “Miles Away” shot native 24p | Philip Bloom

Kevin Dooley March 25th, 2010 11:53 AM

That was a great comparison - having film as a standard and then seeing each camera in detail was very helpful. It's hard to go wrong with any of them (though the non-Canon choices definitely had some drawbacks I didn't like in compression and latitude). They each had their own set of strengths and weaknesses.

Can't wait for the Color, Key, and Resolution tests on April 7th!

Stan Chase March 25th, 2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough (Post 1505197)
Here's his blog post about it:

I think instead of the one you posted, this is the one that you were referring to:

The tale of Lucasfilm, Skywalker Ranch, Star Wars and Canon DSLRs on a 40 foot screen!

Bryan McCullough March 25th, 2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Chase (Post 1505312)
I think instead of the one you posted, this is the one that you were referring to:

The tale of Lucasfilm, Skywalker Ranch, Star Wars and Canon DSLRs on a 40 foot screen!

Well I got there from his link on this page:

Above Skywalker | Philip Bloom

So blame Mr. Bloom. :D