5d with stock lens: IS is unusually noisy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

5d with stock lens: IS is unusually noisy

Hi I am the proud owner of a new 5d mark ii. I am a documentarian and so far my tests show that the image is way better than the 7d or 550d.
BUT having shot with the 7d with Canon IS lenses with the on-camera mic only (yes I am aware of all the problems with that and the workarounds) and gotten usable audio, now with the 5d I am experiencing CONTINUAL loud noise being recorded when the IS is engaged. The lens is the Canon 24-105mm. Using several Canon IS lenses with the 7d I never noticed to continual IS sound which on my 5d is loud even when people are talking, traffic going by, etc. etc. (When I turn off IS the noise goes away.)
My friend who shoots a lot with the 7d and 5d said its a bad lens--that others are far quieter. I am not talking about a small noise, its loud enough to make the audio unusable.
So is the lens bad, or is the 5d worse in this regard (picking up IS noise) than the 7d and I just have to deal with it?
Thanks!
Jeff Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, that's "normal" for that particular lens. You'll want to switch off the IS.

See these previous discussions:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1435976

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1206800

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The IS noise from the same lens was almost almost totally absent on a 550d that I tried it on. So I guess the 5d just picks up more camera/lens noise than the 7d or 550d?
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here is some test video and you can see the 5d picks up waaaay more IS noise than the 550d with the same lens. Is this just the way it is, or is there an issue with my new camera? I realize the 5d picks up IS noise but way more than the other cameras? By the way this was shot through a window if you couldn't tell.

Last edited by Jeff Gibbs; March 30th, 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: add clarification
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

the 5d w same lens

Old March 31st, 2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Major Player

More than likely the microphones built into the 550d and th 7d are different than the one in the 5d. The 5d's mic could be more sensitive than the other two, but it's really hard to say.
Cody Dulock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It could be the same mic, but different programming of the AK4646 audio chip.
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Trustee

You couldn't actually use the audio in either clip... so does it really matter?
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
It could be the same mic, but different programming of the AK4646 audio chip.
It also could be related to physical location or connection of the mic. IS after all is a physical thing moving, creating physical vibrations that are -- beyond sound waves themselves -- easily picked up by a mic that is physically mounted to the same thing that is vibrating. Think of two different setups: (1) a super sensitive ambient mic on a mic stand where the hardwood floor is being vibrated by people walking, and (2) the same mic in the same room but with a pro shockmount. Same mic, same room, same ambient noise... VERY different result.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input, yes actually I can and DO use on-camera audio (at times) in feature films.

I just shot some fly on the wall stuff on the streets of NYC with the 7d and GH1 on-camera mics and the audio is very usable. No IS noise at all. Certainly not optimal but very servicable.

Some of most important scenes in the last film I worked on, CAPITALISM: A LOVE STORY were shot with an HV20 with an on-camera mic. When we can we have a full crew with HDCAM and a sound recordist--not always possible.

Hence I want to shoot with 5d and retain the option to not attach a mic if needed or bring along an audio guy. It would be ironic if the 5d was worse in this regard than the 7d and 550d because the image quality is so very stunning.

But I am thinking that perhaps the way the 5d lens/body performs varies widely from unit to unit right now so maybe I can get a slightly better one. A colleague shot with the 5d recently in North Carolina and I just checked some of his footage with the same lens in a quiet environment and he had no IS noise apparent. Another returned a rental 5d when it picked up too much IS noise and got one that was quieter.

So maybe I should send mine back and try a different 5d. And alas I am in northern Michigan and know of no other 5d owners hereabouts to allow a comparison.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:18 AM   #11
New Boot

I had that lens and heard none of the noise you're getting.
I returned it and bought the 24mm prime- but for other reasons.
Robyn Sands is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD