DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Steadying a shaky shot? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/475978-steadying-shaky-shot.html)

Josh Fung March 31st, 2010 07:08 PM

Steadying a shaky shot?

What software should I be looking at for stabilising a shaky shot in post?
one of my camera guys handheld 5D+70-200 non IS at 200mm for a bride for 10 minutes >.<

Kalulu Ngilo March 31st, 2010 07:11 PM

would a monopod have helped?
FCP's smoothcam filter.
I believe media composer has one also.

Charles W. Hull March 31st, 2010 07:20 PM

I like Deshaker http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm run from Virtualdub. It also compensates for rolling shutter for these kind of shots.

Josh Fung March 31st, 2010 07:25 PM

Thanks Charles, Will give it a try.

Yes a monopod would have been a much better solution.

Josh Fung March 31st, 2010 07:36 PM

Charles, can virtualdub handle H.264 straight away from 5D or needs converting (if yes to what?)

Charles W. Hull March 31st, 2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Fung (Post 1508260)
Charles, can virtualdub handle H.264 straight away from 5D or needs converting (if yes to what?)

Virtualdub runs with AVI. I convert the 5D files to AVI with Cineform, and output Cineform from Virtualdub as well.

Perrone Ford March 31st, 2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

I can't remember if my plugin I installed allows for 5D/7D files to drop in or not. Normally, VDub wants AVI files. However, I choose to use Lagarith or HuffYUV. Cineform is lossy (somewhat) and I prefer not to lose quality until I have to.

But Virtualdub is the best tool out there for this if you know what you're doing. I've got tons of examples of things I've done with it, and some of them are online.

Soeren Mueller April 2nd, 2010 01:54 AM

Theres a Quicktime Input plugin for Virtualdub that enables it to read Quicktime/MOV files directly (of course Quicktime needs to be installed) .. even from the 5D.. although sometimes you have to fiddle a little bit with the settings for it to work correctly...

Index of Software

(qtvd_* at the bottom)

Perrone Ford April 2nd, 2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Yea, that's the plug in I have... but some of those are still flaky.

Soeren Mueller April 2nd, 2010 07:31 AM

Yeah unfortunately it's not really out of "beta" stage and not really plug and play all the time... :-/ .. still, if it works it's a time saver over first converting everything (and of course also a bit of a quality saver ;o)

Perrone Ford April 2nd, 2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soeren Mueller (Post 1508878)
still, if it works it's a time saver over first converting everything (and of course also a bit of a quality saver ;o)

Time saver yes. Quality saver, not really.

Soeren Mueller April 2nd, 2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1508895)
Time saver yes. Quality saver, not really.

Also quality saver, unless you convert to some lossless format... of course Cineform etc. for visual losless.. just nitpicking.

Perrone Ford April 2nd, 2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soeren Mueller (Post 1508897)
Also quality saver, unless you convert to some lossless format... of course Cineform etc. for visual losless.. just nitpicking.

Note my first post in this thread.

David Elkins April 4th, 2010 11:55 AM

Just had to chime in with another vote of confidence for Deshaker. I used it on some aerials I shot in Alaska with the 5D and it simply blew my mind as to the results. A bit time consuming with all of the converting to AVI, but absolutely worth it. I actually edited my piece with the unstabilized footage and once I was at picture lock I only converted the clips that made the final cut saving me time and space on the 'ol harddrive.

Perrone has some great info on his experiences with it as well. Search for it here and follow his tips and you'll be set.