Steadying a shaky shot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 31st, 2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadying a shaky shot?

What software should I be looking at for stabilising a shaky shot in post?
one of my camera guys handheld 5D+70-200 non IS at 200mm for a bride for 10 minutes >.<
Josh Fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

would a monopod have helped?
FCP's smoothcam filter.
I believe media composer has one also.
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Major Player

I like Deshaker http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm run from Virtualdub. It also compensates for rolling shutter for these kind of shots.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Charles, Will give it a try.

Yes a monopod would have been a much better solution.
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Charles, can virtualdub handle H.264 straight away from 5D or needs converting (if yes to what?)
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Fung View Post
Charles, can virtualdub handle H.264 straight away from 5D or needs converting (if yes to what?)
Virtualdub runs with AVI. I convert the 5D files to AVI with Cineform, and output Cineform from Virtualdub as well.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 10:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
I can't remember if my plugin I installed allows for 5D/7D files to drop in or not. Normally, VDub wants AVI files. However, I choose to use Lagarith or HuffYUV. Cineform is lossy (somewhat) and I prefer not to lose quality until I have to.

But Virtualdub is the best tool out there for this if you know what you're doing. I've got tons of examples of things I've done with it, and some of them are online.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Theres a Quicktime Input plugin for Virtualdub that enables it to read Quicktime/MOV files directly (of course Quicktime needs to be installed) .. even from the 5D.. although sometimes you have to fiddle a little bit with the settings for it to work correctly...

Index of Software

(qtvd_* at the bottom)
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yea, that's the plug in I have... but some of those are still flaky.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Yeah unfortunately it's not really out of "beta" stage and not really plug and play all the time... :-/ .. still, if it works it's a time saver over first converting everything (and of course also a bit of a quality saver ;o)
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeren Mueller View Post
still, if it works it's a time saver over first converting everything (and of course also a bit of a quality saver ;o)
Time saver yes. Quality saver, not really.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:09 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Time saver yes. Quality saver, not really.
Also quality saver, unless you convert to some lossless format... of course Cineform etc. for visual losless.. just nitpicking.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeren Mueller View Post
Also quality saver, unless you convert to some lossless format... of course Cineform etc. for visual losless.. just nitpicking.
Note my first post in this thread.
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Just had to chime in with another vote of confidence for Deshaker. I used it on some aerials I shot in Alaska with the 5D and it simply blew my mind as to the results. A bit time consuming with all of the converting to AVI, but absolutely worth it. I actually edited my piece with the unstabilized footage and once I was at picture lock I only converted the clips that made the final cut saving me time and space on the 'ol harddrive.

Perrone has some great info on his experiences with it as well. Search for it here and follow his tips and you'll be set.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD