DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Lowest Shutter Speed for 5D Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/476009-lowest-shutter-speed-5d-video.html)

Nick Papworth April 1st, 2010 08:45 AM

Lowest Shutter Speed for 5D Video

Hey all,

I just wanted to check definitively what the slowest shutter speed you can shoot video at is on the 5D?
Although in Manual mode it does not appear to go below 30, i've heard people talk of getting the camera to lower shutter speeds in some auto modes to compensate for the light.
Is this a true shutter speed change, or is it just something compensating within the chip?

Sorry if this is something that has already been brought up, but i couldn't find any answers.

Many thanks,

Nick

Steve Phillipps April 1st, 2010 09:04 AM

Quite obviously the lowest shutter speed useable is that of your frame rate, ie at 30P it would be 1/30th, ie you can't fit 30 lots of 1/2 second exposures into a second!
Steve

Nick Papworth April 1st, 2010 10:24 AM

Thank you for the slightly pedantic answer... :)

What i am trying to establish is whether there is anyway that will allow the shutter speed to almost cheat the fps to allow the shooting of heavy motion blurred video for a particular aesthetic look.

What i wanted to check is whether this was feasible (even hackable/upgradeable) ala the GH1 Micro 4/3rds Photography: GH1 video recording at slow shutter speed

Thanks,

Nick

Matthew Roddy April 1st, 2010 11:38 AM

I agree with Nick.
I've seen video where (I guessed) the shutter was left open for abnormally longer time slices, allowing for heavy "streaking" and motion blurring.
I've wondered how to do this too.

Steve Phillipps April 1st, 2010 12:09 PM

Sorry Nick, didn't mean anything by it - just checking in case you weren't realising the obvious.
On the old Canon XL Hi 8 cameras you could use a slow shutter, which would give a blurry movement, down to 1/6th second I think, and I always assumed that the way it did it was to shoot a 6fps. Presumably you'd get the same effect at 6fps on the Varicam but I've never tried it. Again, the laws of physics dictate that you can't have a longer shutter speed than the reciprocal of your frame rate. Does the 5D allow undercranking or is it just 30p?
Plenty of ways to make the effect in post I'm sure.
Steve

Kin Lau April 1st, 2010 12:26 PM

The 5Dm2 can shoot @ 4fps, so the lowest shutter speed would be 1/4 second if you want to try it that way.

Bill Binder April 1st, 2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kin Lau (Post 1508570)
The 5Dm2 can shoot @ 4fps, so the lowest shutter speed would be 1/4 second if you want to try it that way.

With the shutter? You're camera won't last very long that way, but yeah, that would work, lol...

Bill Binder April 1st, 2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1508562)
Sorry Nick, didn't mean anything by it - just checking in case you weren't realising the obvious.
On the old Canon XL Hi 8 cameras you could use a slow shutter, which would give a blurry movement, down to 1/6th second I think, and I always assumed that the way it did it was to shoot a 6fps. Presumably you'd get the same effect at 6fps on the Varicam but I've never tried it. Again, the laws of physics dictate that you can't have a longer shutter speed than the reciprocal of your frame rate. Does the 5D allow undercranking or is it just 30p?
Plenty of ways to make the effect in post I'm sure.
Steve

Some (more consumer-ish/prosumer-ish) cams that did this kind of thing didn't actually/literally undercrank in the sense that the file created was literally 6 fps. They tended to just repeat the frames, so 6 unique frames per second each repeated 4 times, such that you still got a 29.97 or 60i source (or whatever), but effectively it was just undercranked. Same result really, but you don't get the benefit of a smaller file, etc.

Keith Moreau April 3rd, 2010 12:33 AM

Some camcorders, even high end camcorders like my Sony EX1, do have a 'slow shutter' mode, where light is accumulated over several frames. For scenes that don't have much movement, the effect is like turning night into day, it's quite remarkable. The side effect is the blurry music-video look with movement.

I don't think the 5D can do this in video mode thought, I believe the lowest shutter speed is 'open' or 1/30 for 30fps, 1/24 for 24fps. I like the open shutter look, I think the motion blur approximates film more closely than a 180 degree shutter speed (1/2 of the frame rate).

You could put the 5D in still 'bulb' mode, where the shutter is open the whole time, then use the high speed still mode to get what you want, string the images together in something like Quicktime player (I do it all the time for timelapses). This would approximate the effect, but you'd use up a lot of shutter cycles on your camera.