Contrast too high at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 10th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Contrast too high

Recently, I've combined clips from the 5D mkII with clips from a Sony XDCAM-HD. Both camera's deliver crisp, superb images, but he biggest difference - too big to be acceptable in one movie - is the enormous contrast of the 5D. Has anyone found a suitable solution for this, other than lowering the contrast in post-production?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Regular Crew

A contrast value of -4 in the camera's picture profile settings is a good place to start (-4 is the lowest that you can set the contrast). I was working with a value of 0 (the default value for the 'neutral' profile) but have just shot some new material with contrast at -4 and am very happy with the results. You can, of course, bring in a bit of contrast in post if you've gone to far. But particularly for sunlit scenes the -4 value seems to work well.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Major Player

OK, thanks for the info, Ben. I'll give that a try.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Your question inspired me to do a quick test to see the difference between 0 and -4 contrast (you change these settings by editing in the "picture styles" menu). So I shot some still images. The problem with anything above the minimum setting for bright out-door shooting is that not only do you lose detail in shadow areas, you also blow-out the highlights. If you do your adjustments in post you can tweak just one end (highlights or shadows) rather than pushing both.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Luc,

Choose Faithful or Neutral as the picture style. (I prefer Neutral.) After that, set contrast and sharpness to the minimum level. You can drop saturation by one or two ticks as well. This is a good starting place. And, of course, do your best to expose properly. My favorite methods are Zebras (available in Magic Lantern) and false colors (available in some monitors.)

Another trick is to use a slight diffusion filter. I like Tiffen's Glimmerglass #1. It takes the edge off the highlights and lifts the blacks a bit.

With a diffusion filter on an overcast day or with flat lighting, you can bump the contrast setting up in the camera. (I need to do some tests to find some go-to levels.) With no filter on a sunny day or with high-contrast lighting, definitely set contrast all the way down.

My personal preference is to have the contrast a bit too low and adjust in post. That provides a slight safety margin if the exposure isn't perfect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD