EOS FCP plugin shortening clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 12th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EOS FCP plugin shortening clips

I received about 3 hours of 5D footage over the weekend. The footage was complete and in the correct folder structure. I used the EOS plugin in FCP6 (I know not supported) to import all of the footage. I then noticed that some clips were shortened drastically ( a 3min clip was now 1min). I never set ins and outs in the Log and Transfer window. Also, some clips were renamed. Has anyone else experienced this?
Oddly enough, T2i footage seems to import fine.
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Major Player

I've got a T2i (with FCP7) and have seen this happen quite a few times.

I've not yet seen it happen if I set in and out points.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Have experienced this with all kinds of media so I don't think it's the EOS plugin. I think it's a problem with Log and Transfer. Usually you find that there is a warning icon for clips that don't import properly.

I found it happened mostly on really large or spanned clips (P2) and also when I was editing at the same time as FCP was ingesting. The other factor was sometimes a naming double up, but usually if I left the computer alone when importing I had no problems.

But really the most important thing to do is make sure you still have your original files before you go deleting stuff. That's why I always transfer the raw files to disk first and then import from there.

That way if you miss the fact that a clips is suddenly much shorter than it should be you can re-import.
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #4
Major Player

I've also noticed this truncation several times. I don't think it has anything to do with the computer being busy or the size of the clip. It happens when the machine is doing nothing else, on all sizes of clips.

So after converting to ProRes, I line up the original and the converted clips in two browser windows in Final Cut and eyeball for differences. It's a real pain, due to the large number of clips we shoot at each event.

(It's part of the magic of Apple that the free utility MPEG Streamclip is both faster and more reliable at transcoding. Of course it does not allow log and transfer and does not generate timecode as does the plugin. And supposedly Compressor creates "higher quality" ProRes clips.)

Does anyone know of a utility of some type that can compare the lengths of clips and automatically find discrepancies of this kind?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

This information was worth the price of admission to the forum today.

Erik, have you found a such a utility?

Erik, the idea of comparing media lengths gets defeated if you've edited in and out points, shortening the length of the output media when compared with the original camera media.

Last edited by Dave Therault; August 22nd, 2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.
Dave Therault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Major Player

I made a quick screencast about this problem today, and also the strange way that the EOS plugin renames re-imported clips.

Canon EOS Movie Plugin-E1 errors
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #7
Major Player

This is a common problem using E1 plug in - quite a few boards / blogs have picked up on it. I'm not sure if everyone experiences it, but it's been a major hassle for me.

While it can also happen when you leave your mac alone to transcode, it's much much more common (for me it happens to around 80% of clips) when the system is busy doing other tasks while E1 is at work. It truncates quite randomly (sometimes a few seconds into a clip, sometimes right near the end), and gives no indication that it has done so - you must manually check the duration of all transcoded files as Erik says - it's a real pain.

Now I leave my mac alone overnight to transcode, and I transcode entire clips (not using in and out points in E1) and that seems to solve the problem; at the same time the software has become a lot less useful. In fact I'm thinking of switching back to mpeg streamclip and ditching the E1 plug in until this is resolved.

Josh
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD