DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5DMKII used to shoot entire House season finale... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/476862-5dmkii-used-shoot-entire-house-season-finale.html)

Peer Landa April 15th, 2010 08:57 AM

5DMKII used to shoot entire House season finale...

Although I have no idea what kind of show this is, it's nice to see the MKII being used exclusively:
Canon 5D Mark II used to shoot entire House season finale, director says it's 'the future' -- Engadget

-- peer

Tim Polster April 15th, 2010 11:33 AM

When is the final to be shown?

Evan Donn April 15th, 2010 12:19 PM

I think the finale is airing May 17th.

Louis Maddalena April 15th, 2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1514638)
Although I have no idea what kind of show this is, it's nice to see the MKII being used exclusively:
Canon 5D Mark II used to shoot entire House season finale, director says it's 'the future' -- Engadget

-- peer

You don't know what House is?! Its only one of the best shows on fox! If you have time you should check out an episode or 2, its about a doctor who gets patients that nobody else can figure out what is wrong with them and he goes through his steps to figure it out. What makes it awesome is the character is an arrogant ass that treats the patients like puzzles and his team like slaves and doesn't care about any personal relationships except for his best friend wilson and the director of the hospital who on a few occasions he admits he likes, but mostly just likes to annoy her and watch her get angry. The best part about the show is that every episode ties into the episode before it with back story, but every episode has its own case and own story to go with it so they also stand on their own.

Tim Polster April 15th, 2010 12:52 PM

Thanks. I will make sure I see it.

Bill Davis April 15th, 2010 02:53 PM

It really is quite wonderful television.

The scripts are crisp and interesting even tho the plot must be repetitive (patient character appears with a malady that nobody can figure out - until HOUSE weights in) , but the show wouldn't be what it is without the astonishing performance of british actor Hugh Laurie as the always egotistical, annoying and self-absorbed american doctor Gregory House who is so singularly good at what he does, that EVERYONE has put up with him.

The line Laurie treads by making House not just tolerable but actually *likable* while simultaneously making him such an arrogantly egocentric megalomaniac is one of televisions great performances.

Worth anyone's time.

Bryan McCullough April 15th, 2010 06:34 PM

And it's generally a pretty beautifully shot show. Very excited to see what they do with the 5DM2.

Manish Pandit April 17th, 2010 03:31 PM

Canon 5DMKii feedback in response

I am happy that the guys doing House have used the MKII exclusively for that film.
In my opinion, I feel what this means is that finally somebody in broadcast TV has realised what a super job this camera does in the right hands. It is a tool, but with 24p and manual audio, its image quality cannot be ignored any more.

Recently went to India with 4 cameras to film a doc we were commisioned with.
Took the PMW EX3 with us as we all thought that the MKII may not be best choice for this doc.
We also had a MKII, a 7D and a small Sony HVR a1.

In short, after two days, the EX3 lay in the bag,(for three weeks) we ended up using the MKII and the 7D only.
The HVR a1 was not used in the end.
My crew and all the people who saw the footage on a big screen are unanimous that the MKII footage is far better to look at.
We shot the MKII and the 7D on tripods, using primes as well as the 24-105.

Methinks the MKII in the right hands is a very powerful tool. Ultimately, the advantages and the sheer quality of the footage shot with this camera (every client I have had so far wants to know what camera shot those images), is too good to be ignored.
Most likely the guys at the House production unit think the same........

www.saraswatifilms.com

Nigel Barker April 18th, 2010 09:53 AM

It's very interesting that they should be making such a point about shooting the entire episode with the 5DII. I wonder what equipment they normally use.

Steven Fokkinga April 18th, 2010 12:35 PM

According to IMDB, they normally shoot super 35mm as source with an HDCAM master.
"House M.D." (2004) - Technical specifications

Wayne Avanson April 20th, 2010 05:33 AM

There's an interview with Greg Yaitanes all about it, from Philip Bloom here

EXCLUSIVE: In depth interview with Greg Yaitanes, Executive Producer and Director of “House” Season Finale shot on Canon 5DmkII | Philip Bloom

You can also download it as an m4a to listen to later.