DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5D Mark II and iPad (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/476988-5d-mark-ii-ipad.html)

Brian Welles April 16th, 2010 07:48 PM

5D Mark II and iPad

Just in case anyone wondered, the iPad plays 5D Mark II 24p files, in the native codec, without any transcoding.

To do this, I simply installed Air Sharing and used "Connect To Server" in Finder to setup a drap and drop file server... Simply drag the files to the iPad and you have an instant playback device - with audio (!) - and a 10 hour battery life... for $500.

For years I've been waiting on Epson to do this with their photo viewers. Now I have what I wanted all along.

This is only going to get more exciting when Apple releases the USB Card to Dock adapter in a few weeks.

Stephen Mick April 16th, 2010 07:51 PM

Very interesting. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Andrew Clark April 17th, 2010 02:27 AM

Ok, sounds great...but how are you doing this?

Are you offloading the CF card to your main computer first and then accessing the files via your iPad?

John Benton April 18th, 2010 08:42 AM

it will be great when you can use it as an external monitor

Jeffrey Butler April 19th, 2010 07:48 PM

Waiting for that one, myself!

Bill Binder April 20th, 2010 10:38 AM

Playing the native file is one thing, playing it without dropping frames is something else altogether.

So does it play without dropping frames? That's the relevant question now...

Mark Smith April 20th, 2010 06:43 PM

Native 30fps and 23.98 files play flawlessly for me on the iPad.

William Chung April 21st, 2010 09:13 AM

Unfortunately I don't think the iPad will ever be able to be used as a field monitor. I've talked to some of my developer friends who work with the iPad SDK and say it's not possible (in a directly connecting to the iPad sense)

I also wish they made the storage expandable... even the 64 gb one is a little small on the storage wise (I have an iPad btw)

Greg Fiske June 6th, 2011 12:52 PM

Re: 5D Mark II and iPad

Looks like you can use it as a field monitor but it will cost you:

Andree Markefors June 10th, 2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Welles (Post 1515378)
Just in case anyone wondered, the iPad plays 5D Mark II 24p files, in the native codec, without any transcoding.

...and you are well aware that the iPad and the iPad 2 are two different devices?

Louis Maddalena June 11th, 2011 07:18 PM

they're pretty much the same for most purposes.. both version of the ipad play non-transcoded 5d footage.

Andree Markefors June 12th, 2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena (Post 1657613)
...both version of the ipad play non-transcoded 5d footage.

That's good to know, I'll test that out.

But since the iPad 2 is twice the CPU and 9 times the graphics, I think it's a stretch to call them "pretty much the same" regarding performance...

Ryan Czaplinski June 14th, 2011 03:36 PM

They say it's twice the CPU, but really they just made it thinner and added a camera :P

Just kidding, hahah!