DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   WRC 2010 Jordan Stage with 5d Mark II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/477083-wrc-2010-jordan-stage-5d-mark-ii.html)

Amr Toukhy April 18th, 2010 02:22 PM

WRC 2010 Jordan Stage with 5d Mark II

Hi Everyone,

This is to share this interesting / dangerous experience,
Feel free to ask about any aspects of it :)

There are some behind the scenes pictures, not sure how useful technically they could be.
Picasa Web Albums - Amr - 2009-04-01

Regards,
Amr Toukhy

Eric Diosay April 18th, 2010 05:51 PM

Beautiful. Glad to see another 5D filmmaker shooting fast moving cars.

Michael Ojjeh April 18th, 2010 05:57 PM

Amr, that was really cool, nice job capturing the fast action cars and being that close to the action without getting run over, I hope you had some UV filters on your camera for protections from all the rocks flying out, that will definitely makes me nervous.
I really like the shot when you slowed the car down then back to the normal speed, you must shot that with 60 frame per second to slow it down that much.

Nice job , thanks for sharing

Ben Denham April 19th, 2010 01:09 AM

I thought the first off axis shot works really well because you not quite sure which way is up. After that I think the skewed angles are a bit over-used.

Ivan Mosny April 19th, 2010 07:54 AM

Beautifull pictures and movements - but all the rallycars are always on second plane.
I looks like a rally from an ants perspective.

Wayne Avanson April 19th, 2010 10:22 AM

Nice work Amr, loved it.
I like all the weird angles and the constant slow movement of the camera added some class to it.

Matthew Roddy April 19th, 2010 12:04 PM

I agree: slider shots were awesome, some other nice shots too, dutch tilt was overused (in my opinion), slow-mo was very effective.
There is no 60p on the 5D2, though. Did you Twixtor that footage? If so, that was very effective.

As for the title, "Space Invaders," I'm not sure I "got it." Maybe you meant that the cars are invading the space of the serene locations. If so, I might have started off with that awesome shot of the house near the end.

Brant Gajda April 19th, 2010 01:03 PM

Great video. The slow motion shot was pure money.

Amr Toukhy April 19th, 2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Diosay (Post 1516054)
Beautiful. Glad to see another 5D filmmaker shooting fast moving cars.

Thanks a lot Eric :)

Amr Toukhy April 19th, 2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brant Gajda (Post 1516507)
Great video. The slow motion shot was pure money.

Thanks a lot Brant :)

Amr Toukhy

Amr Toukhy April 19th, 2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy (Post 1516488)
I agree: slider shots were awesome, some other nice shots too, dutch tilt was overused (in my opinion), slow-mo was very effective.
There is no 60p on the 5D2, though. Did you Twixtor that footage? If so, that was very effective.

As for the title, "Space Invaders," I'm not sure I "got it." Maybe you meant that the cars are invading the space of the serene locations. If so, I might have started off with that awesome shot of the house near the end.

Thanks Matthew,

Yes 5D Mark II doesn't do 60P, but i actually took that shot at 1/4000 f2.8 ISO100 and then i used Twixtor in After Effects...

Regarding the title, i think you have a point there, and i really wanted to shoot the rally from a deferent perspective :)

Regards,
Amr Toukhy

Amr Toukhy April 19th, 2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 1516414)
Nice work Amr, loved it.
I like all the weird angles and the constant slow movement of the camera added some class to it.

Thank you Wayne :)

Amr Toukhy

Amr Toukhy April 19th, 2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Mosny (Post 1516327)
Beautifull pictures and movements - but all the rallycars are always on second plane.
I looks like a rally from an ants perspective.

Thanks Ivan,

I think yes it is not our (human) point of view :)
I tried to make it more like Need for Speed ...

Amr Toukhy

Amr Toukhy April 19th, 2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Denham (Post 1516214)
I thought the first off axis shot works really well because you not quite sure which way is up. After that I think the skewed angles are a bit over-used.

Thanks Ben :)

I attached some pictures for the making of regrading the opening shot,
Picasa Web Albums - Amr - 2009-04-01
This work was never planned it was pure improvisation so you might be right regarding the skewed angles :)

Amr Toukhy

Amr Toukhy April 19th, 2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh (Post 1516057)
Amr, that was really cool, nice job capturing the fast action cars and being that close to the action without getting run over, I hope you had some UV filters on your camera for protections from all the rocks flying out, that will definitely makes me nervous.
I really like the shot when you slowed the car down then back to the normal speed, you must shot that with 60 frame per second to slow it down that much.

Nice job , thanks for sharing

Thank you Michael,
Glade you liked it :)
First of all i had the UV filters on the lens :) But at the same time this was a camera that was provided to me from Canon Middle East with couple of lenses... and i told the Canon guys ám gonna dare putting the camera in some extreme corners because this is part of the test drive :)... and they said it is ok ... and i DID :)

About the slow-mo clip, it was a test for the shutter speed function in the camera an how clean the images the camera will capture, and it was simply amazing clean sequence that enabled me to use Twixtor :)

Amr Toukhy