DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Serreted edge 24 fps (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/477410-serreted-edge-24-fps.html)

Harry Simpson April 22nd, 2010 05:17 PM

Serreted edge 24 fps

Yikes, I figured the 24 fps what all were clamoring for would be better than the 30 but if anyone moves there's a serreted edge around the moving edge. I use Ciniform to convert the MOVs to AVIs then use NewBlue Color fixer etc in post. Is there a way to loose these edge serrations????

Should I always just shoot 30 fps from now on if moving folks?

TIA
Harry

Evan Donn April 22nd, 2010 06:40 PM

Haven't seen this at all in 4 hours of footage I've shot at 24, including a good deal of movement. I'd guess something's getting messed up in the conversion process, serrated edge sounds like interlacing.

Harry Simpson April 22nd, 2010 09:26 PM

Do you use Cineform? Should I check the "Deinterlace" or the "Convert to 24p(NTSC only)" - right now I just have "Maintain source frame format" checked

Chris Barcellos April 22nd, 2010 09:39 PM

Sounds like somewhere in your process you have interlaced ticked. What program are you editing with, and how do you have it set up and ultimately to what for render?

Harry Simpson April 23rd, 2010 03:48 PM

Thanks Chris

Using Sony Vegas Studio 9 PE for rendering to Mp4 and using the NewBlue VE Color Fixer Plus to correct white balance etc.

I convert the MOVs to AVIs via Cineform HDLink application
In this the settings are

Automatically convert to Cineform Intermediate (*.avi) (checked)
Split file on scene changes (checked)

CineForm Encoder Options
Quality: High
Output source frame format (checked)

Harry Simpson April 23rd, 2010 03:50 PM

Deinterlace and Convert toi 24p (NTSC only) is not checked (these are actually7 option buttons so whenever I check Maintain source frame format it unchecks these two anyway.

Chris Barcellos April 23rd, 2010 11:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Harry, what version of Cineform are you using ?

My version of NeoHD does not have the exact choices you reference. See image below for my Cineform selection for Canon 24p from 5D Mark II.

However, I wonder if you inadvertantly have the Mp4 output set at interlaced ? It should also be rendered progressive. I ve also attached screen grabs of how I set up the MP4 render.

Harry Simpson April 24th, 2010 06:52 PM

Thanks Chris!!
Reading this on an iPhone while traveling but will definitely compare and report back. Really appreciate this
Harry

Harry Simpson April 26th, 2010 12:05 PM

Chris

I set up a new custom tmplate with your settins and the sucker rendered for about 4 hours to complete producing a mp4
I then tried to play it in VLC player and it would not play at all ...... More later

I think for now I better shoot 30 gps til I work this out

Harry