Any Canon sales soon? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 24th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Any Canon sales soon?

Anybody know if Canon is gonna put on a sale again in May??
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:46 AM   #2
Trustee

No, but on the same subject:

$2499 (5DMkII)
$446 (Pixma 9000)
-$400 Rebate
-$200 Sell printer on eBay
-$263 Bing cashback

works out to $2082 for a new 5DMkII. (Perhaps more, depending on how your eBay luck is.)

Refurbs can be found for $2199 if you're not into rolling the dice with rebates and selling printers on eBay.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #3
New Boot

I was told today that there will be a $100 instant rebate on the 5D mark II starting May 9th.
David C. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Along the same lines, is this a good time to buy a 5DII or is a replacement expected soon?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #5
Trustee

We've been expecting a replacement since about five minutes after the MkII was released.

In my opinion, right after NAB is a great time to buy a camera. If there was anything in the works, they'd have at least mentioned it at NAB.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
Along the same lines, is this a good time to buy a 5DII or is a replacement expected soon?
Typically that would come after the release of the next 1Ds. Since we haven't seen the 1DsIV, I doubt we will get a 5DIII this year. This is all complicated for Canon, as they would seem to need to release a large sensor videocam this year. If Panasonic releases a 4/3 videocam in december at ~$5000, it seems Canon would release a similar APS-C device. A significant number of people shooting the 5DII will want that videocam.
Who knows how this all fit together. The only aspect I'm almost certain about is that the 1Ds will be the top spec'd DSLR, and that the Pro HDV stuff is looking old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post

In my opinion, right after NAB is a great time to buy a camera. If there was anything in the works, they'd have at least mentioned it at NAB.
This year Canon didn't need to announce a future large sensor camera/videocam. Panasonic and Sony needed to say something. I'm sure they hate Canon DSLRs popping up in the hands of their customers.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
is this a good time to buy a 5DII or is a replacement expected soon?
The way to predict new product announcements is to look at their previous history. Research the year and month that the EOS 5D Mk. II was announced and also the year and month that the first version EOS 5D was announced. Knowing what that time frame is will enable you to predict when the next 5D iteration should be expected. The press release history is readily accessible online. All you have to do is look it up. It won't tell you exactly when the next one will happen, but it'll give you a general idea of when to start expecting it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
The way to predict new product announcements is to look at their previous history. ..........................
I purchase both 5D models on release, which was the fall of 2005, and the fall of 2008. But no one imagined what has happened with the 5DII, including Canon.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

It's true that the popularity of the HD video recording mode in the 5D Mk. II took Canon by surprise, but that won't affect the timeline for the 5D "Mk. III" in my opinion. That's because I believe they will take the lessons they've learned from HD-equipped D-SLR cameras and apply them to something else entirely different from the 5D line or for that matter any other D-SLR model.

Old May 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Chris,

I expect that we will see a branch: DSLRs will continue to have video features and they will be refined. In parallel, we will see a new generation of video cameras that leverage DvSLR technology.

But I wonder if the high volumes and low prices of DvSLRs won't make them more attractive than their future video-first cousins? I don't mind bolting on an audio box, a loupe, and some handles if I get equal performance at a significantly lower price.

Regarding the 5D Mark III, Canon has no reason to rush something to market with better video features. The competition still trails on the video side. I don't expect anything until fall of 2011. And I expect the 1Ds IV to ship first, including the best of the current crop of DvSLR video features (manual audio, 720/60, HD output when recording...)

This is all my speculation, of course...
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

May be just speculation, Jon, but I pretty much agree with you right down the line on your assessments.

Old May 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #12
Major Player

That would be great if Canon would come up with a new product category. But traditionally that hasn't been their style.
I agree that there's little chance of a 5DIII this year.
But what will they make to hang onto to the video 5DII customer? The XF300 isn't the answer, obviously. The video 5DII customer will switch to a real video camera when available. Wouldn't most of us be happy with a design like the Panasonic AF100? We can stick our Canon and Nikon glass on the 4/3 mount.
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post

But I wonder if the high volumes and low prices of DvSLRs won't make them more attractive than their future video-first cousins? I don't mind bolting on an audio box, a loupe, and some handles if I get equal performance at a significantly lower price.

The problem that Canon has with making vDSLRs the low end of the video line is that someone will compete with a better video-only product. Canon may be able to do vDSLR for one more generation as a low end video strategy, but I believe doing so becomes increasingly risky.
Also, Canon I'm sure is looking at the kit people are buying to make a complete cine-like camera out of a dslr. They would like most of those dollars.
The question is - what segment of vDSLR users is Canon most interested in keeping? The answer probably best indicates what the next videocam looks like.
On a technical point we don't know what on-chip technology Canon and Sony have developed by replacing CCD with CMOS. We don't know what lower end big video CMOS looks like. Unfortunately for RED I expect significant improvements.
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
That would be great if Canon would come up with a new product category. But traditionally that hasn't been their style.
The indication is that the industry will bring the new segment. Canon hasn't spoken yet, but according to one of Canon's video reps at CES, the "5D in a video body" is the most popular request/question they receive.

As to what Canon most wants to hold onto, I'd say, "glass". I don't know what direction they will pursue, but with every scenario, Canon's managers will be considering the impact on lens mount formats and lens sales.
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Best Buy is has a price for the body for $ 300 less than I paid for it, and $ 2499.00. Interestingly, there is now a $100 off sale on the 7D, and a $50.00 off on the 550d also at Best Buy. I took advantage of that on the 550 just now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD