DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   LCDVF fell off my 5D and took the LCD with it! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/478373-lcdvf-fell-off-my-5d-took-lcd.html)

Tony Esposito May 9th, 2010 02:25 PM

LCDVF fell off my 5D and took the LCD with it!

Hello all - I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. I'm a complete newbie, and recently installed the LCDVF to my brand new 5D and left the camera mounted on my tripod. After being away for a week, I came home to find the viewfinder on the floor, with the LCD screen protector still attached! I didn't even realize there was a protector, but apparently the weight of the LCDVF managed to pull it off over a weeks time. Of course I stuck it back on using the same glue that was exposed, but I know this is not a permanent solution. Is this a warranty issue? Should I try to attach a new Canon LCD protector?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Jeff Murray May 9th, 2010 02:49 PM

Warranty issue not sure of

I am not sure of the warranty issue. However the replacement glass is a $10 part. Not sure where you by them.

Here is a photo HOWTO on replacing the 1D glass.

How to replace an LCD screen on a 1D series - FM Forums

Not sure if this is the replacement looks like a protector, but here you go.

Professional LCD Srceen Cover Glass Lens Protector for Canon 5D - Wholesale Factory Direct

Which view finder pulled your glass off by the way?

Regards

Jeff

Rick Jones May 9th, 2010 04:34 PM

Same thing happened with my Z-Finder. Apparently, the protective screen is simply attached with double stick tape. The weight of the Z-Finder or other mounted attachment is enough to pull the screen off. Nope, won't be covered under warranty since it was caused by a 3rd party item.

Here's a longer description of what happened on my blog. Z-Finder dislodges protective cover from Canon 5DMk2 | Jones & Co. Video Services

I've notified Zacuto and they said they had another report of this. Hopefully they'll let people know not to leave the Z-Finder on for an extended amount of time.

Robert Turchick May 9th, 2010 04:50 PM

Might also explain Zacuto's new mounting system with the gorilla plate. Much safer!

Nuno Dias May 9th, 2010 06:36 PM

I know it's not mentioned anywhere but you should never, ever leave your viewfinder mounted on the camera for any extended period of time...

Mike Watson May 9th, 2010 07:51 PM

The magnets attaching the LCDVF are pretty strong... strong enough to pull off the glass plate?

Richard Gooderick May 10th, 2010 01:08 AM

From the LCDVF instruction leaflet:
'However do not leave the LCDVF mounted on your camera for extensive periods (for days or weeks).'

Jim Newberry May 17th, 2010 04:36 PM

I use a Hoodman loupe glued to a pop-up shade, and have never had any problems.

Ryan Koo May 19th, 2010 10:35 AM

You can get a replacement LCD protector from Canon direct -- it's $24. For the 5D the part number is CB3-4948.

Hope that helps!

Ryan

Tony Davies-Patrick May 21st, 2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno Dias (Post 1524932)
I know it's not mentioned anywhere but you should never, ever leave your viewfinder mounted on the camera for any extended period of time...

No problem if you are using a finder mounted via an adapted 5D pop-up screen shade. I use a Hasselblad Finder on my 5D.

Mitchell Lewis May 23rd, 2010 11:51 AM

Care to share any photos of your Hasselblad finder mounted on your 5D?

Tony Davies-Patrick May 25th, 2010 08:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mitchell, here are some 'quick & dirty' pics taken on my iphone, so sorry about the quality:

Mitchell Lewis May 25th, 2010 11:16 AM

Nice! I was thinking that you had a mirrored type viewfinder so that you could stand over the camera and shoot (for low angels)

Thanks for sharing. :)

Tony Davies-Patrick May 25th, 2010 02:15 PM

No Mitchell, when I need to view from above or very low angles or from a distance etc, I use the Phottix Hector Live-View Remote:

Phottix Hector Live-view remote - Wired remotes