Memory Card ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Memory Card ?

I have read through the memory card thread on here and see that some are having a few issues with the Kingston Card after using it a while.

I just ordered a couple Lexar Pro 32 Gig cards 233X
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/666744-REG/Lexar_LCF32GCRBNA233_Professional_Compact_Flash_233x.html
Will this work for the 5DII and 1D IV for video, I have plenty of great cards for shooting raw so this would be used for shooting video with a few stills mixed in.

I also have this card Delkin Devices Compact Flash Pro UDMA 32gb 420X card.

Has anyone had or heard of issues with either of these two cards, and do you think they will work well for both video and stills?

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #2
New Boot

I havent heard any complaints about the mentioned cards. Im sure they will work fine. They sure are fast enough for video.

Ive been using 2 kingston 32gb 133x cards for video everyday for the past 4 months and have not had any problems with them. How long did you use your kingston before you had problems? What kind of problems did you have with it and how long did you use it before the issues started happening?
Alex Hawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Lowest safe speed of cards is 90MB/sec (600X)

Hello there!

My first card that I bought when I got 5D MkII was 16GB SanDisk ExtremePro UDMA6 90MB/sec *600x...

Expensive as hell - but worked as I thought it only can and must work!!!

Then I started trying out older 4GB photo cards that were like 30MB/sec ---- buffer started filling up as crazy, and, although it even managed to work it out, each time buffer got full and emptied itself on card, I would get a ugly looking drop in the video...
But, I could've expected that, I thought, it was really slow card...

However, just the day before yesterday (Saturday morning it was), I went to buy the second card, cause I am shooting a serious "Behind a Scenes" documentary for a feature film, and can't afford to run out of space and then wait 20 minutes until card empties itself to hard disk .- I came into the store and thought - do I go for the same 16GB 90MB/sec 600x card or do I get 32GB (double size) for the same money, but it is 60 MB/sec....
And greedy, as people are, I went for double size for the exactly same amount of money!!!!
Thought - it is SanDisk - the guy who works in the store insured me that it must be enough of the speed...

Came home, formated it, started shooting - in the 2nd minute of footage the first drop,,,, After 45 seconds second drop .... Buffer turns on, very shortly, though, but I've got a feeling that every time it turns on, I end up with DROP on my footage....

Went right back to the store, replaced it for SanDisk x600 / 90MB/sec / UDMA6 --- 16GB - now again double less space - but there must be a reason why that one costs exactly same as double that size of just little slower card...

'Cause of nature of business I am doing now, I really can't afford drops in footage .- no way!!!! Maybe it ain't important for some more amateur stuff or things where you can repeat your take (BUT; BARE IN MIND THAT YOU DON'T SEE THOSE DROPS DURING SHOOTING, but AFTER IT'S TOO LATE - WHEN YOU ARE (usually at home) REVIEWING YOUR RECORDINGS)...

So, that is my experience!

Maybe you guys got luckier with slower cards, I had to pay lot of monies for these fast ones to be sure it will work... And it hurts my soul - they are really expensive ... especially here in Europe; I think they cost exactly double than in USA!!!!

That is it!!! Good luck with little cardies and their fast and big brains:)
Vanja Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanja Marin View Post
can't afford to run out of space and then wait 20 minutes until card empties itself to hard disk
I picked up a FW800 card reader the other day... WOW, can't believe how fast it can flush a 16GB card.

You still have to have multiple cards, but... it's amazing.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Major Player

I have two of each if the 16bg Sandisk Extreme III 30Mbs, Extreme IV 45Mbs and Extreme 60Mbs cards. Been giving them heavy use for about a year or so and never had any problems with buffer warnings so I'm happy with them.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
I picked up a FW800 card reader the other day... WOW, can't believe how fast it can flush a 16GB card.

You still have to have multiple cards, but... it's amazing.
I like sticking with the 16gig cards. Better to loose 16 vs 32 if there is ever a failure. Yes the FW800 are fast.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Major Player

I run 8 gig SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s cards on my 5DM2. Haven't seen the buffer indicator yet, and I can get the cards for about $35 USD each at Costco.

As mentioned above, it hurts a lot less to have an 8 gig card go bad than a 16 gig or 32 gig. When I first bought the camera, I let the sales guy talk me into the fastest 16-gig card available at the time. I could have taken the $$$ I spent on that one card and bought five of the 8 gig ones I use now. I keep it around for when I want to crank off 59 21-megapixel stills in one long burst.

Martin
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Major Player

Been a while, and I am getting ready to order some more cards and would like to know what has been working great, and if anything has been having issues.

I have some 8 gb SanDisk Extreme III 30MB's and 32 gb Lexar Professional 300X cards, may get something in the middle if its in the sweet spot of pricing.
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Major Player

Try the very affordable Transcend cards, 133X. I use them all the time and they work flawlessly.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Trustee

Still using Transcend with no issues. 32GB seems to be the sweet spot.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #11
New Boot

Transcend here as well for my lower-end cards. Noticeably faster than my Kingstons and zero problems so far with three 32GB's and two 16's, which have been around the world and back with no issues. They've also been in sustained cold & wet outdoor conditions for several weeks.

When I need a fast card for stills, I still use my Sandisk Extreme III's. But Transcend is fine for video.
Ed Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #12
New Boot

I've been using Sandisk Extreme III 8Gb and 16Gb (30 MB/s) and never had a problem with those. I recently got Sandisk Extreme 60 MB/s 16Gb card and never had a problem with that either. Infact, I've never seen buffer/busy sign on my camera. I have 2.0.7 fw atm.

5Dmk2 writes less than 6 MB/s to the card so a 30 MB/s should work just fine. And yes, I've read some people have had drops on 30MB/s cards after certain firmware update (can't remember which fw that was). My point is many people often confuse MB/s and Mb/s. Mb is 125kB, so it does sound strange that a fast 60 MB/s would not be fast enough. I'm not saying this is not possible and odd things do happenwith computers and cameras, but it is odd indeed.
Antti Turpeinen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD