House season finale -- Just watched it! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Major Player

House season finale -- Just watched it!

The season finally of House. It was incredible and any one who says it can't be done now, clearly has not seen what has been done. Beautiful shots and my wife who is a fan of the show and not a fan of geeky video things loved it. SO, the fan in my house just saw a great show and didn't even notice what it was shot with.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #2
New Boot

That's what its all about. We can all argue specs and issues, but it's the story and how its presented. Great season finale. So, being a House fan and a geek, I loved it.
Eric Diosay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Looked good and a good episode although I don't watch House much. Did think a few shots were too shallow (see ending focused on House in Bathroom) but that's my 2 cents! Compression held up well on Directv.
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Major Player

That was fantastic, to a normal viewer they will never guess what camera this was shot in.
I am curious if they choose the 5D for this final episode of the tight areas( crawl space) which makes the 5D perfect for !
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Good to see a few focus lags - It's not just me but they also used them artistically in places too. I must say that's the first House episode I ever watched.
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
That was fantastic, to a normal viewer they will never guess what camera this was shot in.
I am curious if they choose the 5D for this final episode of the tight areas( crawl space) which makes the 5D perfect for !
I do think that was one of the main--if not the main--reason for using the 5DMII.
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #7
New Boot

Loved it!

The mood, lighting and intimacy was just perfect. Couldn't have done it with any other system. My hats off to the Director of photography and all the crew to making this work.
Dennis Helmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
Looked good and a good episode although I don't watch House much. Did think a few shots were too shallow (see ending focused on House in Bathroom) but that's my 2 cents! Compression held up well on Directv.

I really liked those shots and thought they worked great for the mood.... Just goes to show everyone has an opinion and in this case we are both right.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Trustee

"House," which may be Fox's biggest show behind "Idol" can afford to use whatever set-up they want (including 35 mm film).

So that they'd use an off-the-shelf DLSR camera is news in its self. That it looked so good (and I loved that bathroom shot BTW) is nothing short of amazing. I was taught to shoot film, well, on film 20 years ago. If back then you'd tell me that a digital still camera would be able to shoot 24p 35mm quality footage, I'd have laughed in your face. Might as well tell me you had a time machine.

Simply amazing.

As a side note, I own a T2 and have been prodding my wife about upgrading to the Mark II. Tonight's ep (she loves House) may have pushed her over the edge!

john
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #10
Major Player

oh man, i thought that looked great!

watched in hd and was really impressed. hats off to the house crew, they really nailed it.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent View Post
"House," which may be Fox's biggest show behind "Idol" can afford to use whatever set-up they want (including 35 mm film).

So that they'd use an off-the-shelf DLSR camera is news in its self. That it looked so good (and I loved that bathroom shot BTW) is nothing short of amazing. I was taught to shoot film, well, on film 20 years ago. If back then you'd tell me that a digital still camera would be able to shoot 24p 35mm quality footage, I'd have laughed in your face. Might as well tell me you had a time machine.

Simply amazing.

As a side note, I own a T2 and have been prodding my wife about upgrading to the Mark II. Tonight's ep (she loves House) may have pushed her over the edge!

john
The finale looked terrific (as well as being one of the best House episodes.) It probably could have been shot on a T2i - but that would have been totally ridiculous! ;-)
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #12
Major Player

I don't think you could have gotten quite as narrow a field of focus with a T2i as they did in some of those shots. Some of those were crazy!

The episode looked fantastic, no question. Now I find myself wishing they'd made a behind the scenes video of the making of this episode.

I do wish there had been more hospital shots, I liked seeing the 5D footage in the environments we're used to seeing for comparison sake. My wife is a huge House fan and she hasn't watched it yet, I plan to ask her if she thought anything looked or felt different about this show. I'm wondering if the thin focus will stand out to her of if she'll even notice.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #13
Major Player

I didn't think it handled skin quite as well as the high-end cameras (film or digital). But overall, very nice. I didn't see any objectionable technical flaws at all. I was mostly enjoying the show.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #14
Trustee

I thought overall it looked great although there were more than a few shots which looked softer than usual for a show. During the middle of the show I suspected they were using something other than the 5D so it will be interesting to find out if they intercut with anything else. The end scene in the bathroom did feel more 5Dish than other parts of the show. Did they actually use the H264 recording or did they record to something else?
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Major Player

What else could they have recorded to? You still can't get a useable HDMI signal out without cropping, right?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD