Strange slight flickring problem on 5d mark ii - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 13th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #16
Tourist

Same problem

Alon, I'm wondering if you've discovered any solution to the flickering problem. I'm having the same problem... all manual, shooting primarily with an 85mm 1.2... static interviews, low light situations. ISO is locked, shutter is locked, WB is locked. It's just as you described, a slight flicker, especially in the darker areas of the shot... driving me nuts.
Dan Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #17
New Boot

I'm seeing exactly the same problem. Slight exposure shifts with everything otherwise on manual. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this, and is it clear the firmware update fixes it? I'm on a shoot in the Amazon, about 24 hours from being off-grid completely, and would love to know if there's a fix.
Erik German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #18
Regular Crew

2.0.7 doesn't fix this issue. I have a new 5D Mark II with 2.0.7 and using a Fotodiox adapter with the AF confirmation dandelion. As noted in the link to the discussion on Flickr, I see the aperture occasionally bump to 00 from it's normal state of 1.4 and I get a change in exposure along with that. Fotodiox was not sure what it could be either and asked me to send back the adapter and order a new one so they could see if their product was at fault. I suspect it isn't now though based on the frequency of this problem regardless of the brand of adapter. My guess is a software bug but I'm willing to bet Canon won't waste a lot of cycles on running it down if their lenses are working just fine.
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #19
Major Player

Ditto, I have exactly the same problem, especially noticeable during locked down interviews.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Madison View Post
It's just as you described, a slight flicker, especially in the darker areas of the shot... driving me nuts.
Don't have a 5d but with my 550d I also see this occasionally in certain lighting conditions (also in darker area's of the image), looks like the flicker you get when filming an lcd screen with the wrong shutter speed, when I then lower my shutter to 1/30 the flicker almost completely disappears, if I choose a higher shutter it gets much more visible. Have not been able to get rid of it completely when it occurs. If I film that exact same scene with my main cam, a xh-a1 I don't have that problem.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD