DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5DMk2 and which 2nd camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/479520-5dmk2-2nd-camera.html)

Harry Simpson May 27th, 2010 06:26 PM

5DMk2 and which 2nd camera?

Recently did an interview with two cameras - my 5Dmk2 and a friend shot another 7D. Since editing the footage I really see the need for a minimum two cameras. So, my take after researching capabilities is the T2i is the most bang for the buck as a second camera basically just sitting on a tripod recording.

Any other recommendations? Why spend twice for a 7D or 3x for another 5Dmk2.

Only problem is the T2i is hard to find right now......

Chris Barcellos May 28th, 2010 04:29 PM

Harry: I went T2i. Actually easier to shoot than the 5D in terms of get set up to shoot. Light and smaller, and it good light, as good an image.

In lower light, I think 5d edges T21 out, but I haven't gotten down to grinding with the T2i yet. 5D also trumps on sound capability, expecially if you are into Magic Lantern. But if I am grabbing to head out the door day to shoot something quick and dirty, like kids graduations, or something, I pick up the T2i with the simple kit lens, with both Image stabilization and improve autofocus. Batteries are not near the hassle either, as you can buy and use the low end variety without losing capability of monitoring battery level.

Harry Simpson May 30th, 2010 07:53 PM

Thanks for chiming in Chris. Seems like for video second camera I can't find many minuses.

Shane Kerr May 30th, 2010 08:51 PM

The T2i uses SD cards instead of compact flash and has a different style of battery than the 5D and 7D.

We thought long and hard about this and went with the 7D instead. If you already have a 5DII then the 7D can use the same batteries and cards. For us to equip a T2i (or 550D here) to the same level as our 5D the extra expense of different batteries and different cards made it more worthwhile to get the 7D instead.

Chris Barcellos May 30th, 2010 10:58 PM

Not really. I am shooting with $20 8gig PNY cards from Bestbuy. For backup batteries, I bought some $11 or $12 off brands on Ebay. They seem to work just fine in both cases.

Harry Simpson May 31st, 2010 10:16 AM

Shane i thought about that myself. I was hoping to use my 16G CF cards but really I'd need to buy more anyway. Would be nice if they used the same though. $20 8G cards at Best Buy Chris? they work ok i guess....suppose MOVs a a little smaller for same footage than a Mk2 too?

Chris Barcellos May 31st, 2010 12:48 PM

I was a bit surprised too, but I haven't had any issues with the card.

PNY Optima Flash memory card - 8 GB SDHC Memory Card - 1 x SDHC Memory Card

Canon's book calls for class 6. Whatever this card is, its been fine for me thus far.

Harry Simpson June 7th, 2010 12:14 PM

One thing that did pop up about the T2i and perhaps even the 7D - They still have no way of turning off the AGC audio....Course if I use the the 5Dk2 as my main sound grab that's not an issue anyway.

Erik Andersen June 7th, 2010 03:25 PM

I'd agree with Shane that the 7D is a better option than the T2i. We got a T2i and while overall it's worked well for us, here are some issues we have with it:

- overheating: we film a series of 12 minute clips, and after 40 minutes or so the T2i flashes it's overheating warning (this is at 24p)
- white balance: you can't set white balance by colour temperature (K) which is a pain when attempting to match the cameras and makes the T2i less versatile under changing light conditions
- poor low light performance: apparently this is the same as the 7D, I've haven't done a comparison myself but the T2i seems noisy even at lower ISO's
- different batteries and cards than 5D: a bit of a pain when you are in a hurry

So if we were going to do it again we'd get a 7D.

Carl Rubin June 8th, 2010 09:38 PM

You didn't indicate the urgency of acquiring this second body, but if you can wait a bit I would suggest the replacement for the 5D Mk II is your best choice.

Harry Simpson June 11th, 2010 09:27 PM

Ended up getting a 550D w/two batteries and two 16g SDhc cards. and now the interview for Sunday was called off. Now that I have two cameras i'm thinking a third.....

Mike Watson June 12th, 2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Rubin (Post 1536478)
You didn't indicate the urgency of acquiring this second body, but if you can wait a bit I would suggest the replacement for the 5D Mk II is your best choice.

You're not the first person to suggest that this is imminent. Yet Canon has made no mention of it, and even the most liberal speculation would put the street date of the Mk III at least a year away. Any reason you would think it will come earlier, or when you said "urgent" were you thinking < 1yr?

Carl Rubin June 13th, 2010 10:57 AM

Mike, my own plan for a second camera body is to get the next offering from Canon, whenever that may be, and make my 5D Mk II the backup. I was merely offering this plan as an option to the OP, if time is not a factor. In my old age I've come to learn that patience can sometimes be your ally.

Jon Fairhurst June 13th, 2010 12:56 PM

The next camera will likely be the 1Ds Mark IV. My prediction is that it will have the best combination of all of the current generation of video features: 720p60, HD over HDMI, video mode switch, manual audio... But I also predict that it won't add anything new for video that we haven't already seen. It will probably have two DIGIC IV processors. I have no idea if and when it will be released. But it's the one hole in Canon's current arsenal, compared to their previous generation offerings.

My guess is that the 5D Mark III will be the first next gen cam with one or more DIGIC V processors, probably released in late 2011, but that's just conjecture based on previous Canon history. They will almost certainly improve the video feature set, but it's anybody's guess as to what they will add.

Of course, past behavior don't guarantee similar future actions. But with no inside information, if I had to place a bet, my predictions above stand. :)