DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Vertical lines in blacks with Nikon AIS lens in low light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/479852-vertical-lines-blacks-nikon-ais-lens-low-light.html)

Gerald Baillgergeau June 3rd, 2010 04:37 PM

Vertical lines in blacks with Nikon AIS lens in low light

When in low light situations im getting these horrid vertical lines in the blacks with my Nikon lenses(50mm 1.4, 28mm 2) Anyone else suffuring from this or know the cause? Ill post a screen shot later..

Kalulu Ngilo June 3rd, 2010 06:35 PM

I don't see any on mine. Most of the shots had to be at ISO5000,f1.4 so its super low light. If it helps, here is a clip.

Shot with:
-5DMK2
-Nikon 50mm f/1.4 manual
-ISO 5000
-30-fps
-1/30 shutter
-Neutral picture.

Audio:
-Zoom H4n
-Limit was set to Concert because it was LOUD in there. Loud!
-Volume at 55, Rec. level at ~2-5. Loud!
-Manual audio on 5dmk2, level at 1 point.
-H4n was wireless sending via ew100 g2 to my receiver g2 shoe mounted on the mk.
-Mono audio in -> mk2, stereo left fill in in Premiere.

No grading, no noise filter(post). So testing out how it looks online.

Marcus Marchesseault June 4th, 2010 02:45 AM

Gerald, it sounds like you have too much gain (iso) turned up and are seeing the inherent flaws in the sensor. Since you didn't post which iso setting you are using, perhaps you are using auto iso and it is cranking up the gain too much.

Kalulu, your shot doesn't look at all like iso5000. There is very little noise and there is far too much light to need iso5000 with f1.4 at 1/30th shutter. The rope light and DJ lights should be totally blown out at iso5000 and the video screen would look almost totally white.

Steve Phillipps June 4th, 2010 03:08 AM

Doesn't sound like a lens issue for sure, almost certainly the sensor.
On the Phantom HD you sometimes get vertical banding and it's usually solved by black balancing - not a feature on DSLRs is it? It's a standard thing on pro video cameras, maybe it's required on DSLRs too, or is it mainly just for CCDs I wonder (though the Phantom is CMOS)?
Steve

Kalulu Ngilo June 4th, 2010 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault (Post 1534761)
Gerald, it sounds like you have too much gain (iso) turned up and are seeing the inherent flaws in the sensor. Since you didn't post which iso setting you are using, perhaps you are using auto iso and it is cranking up the gain too much.

Kalulu, your shot doesn't look at all like iso5000. There is very little noise and there is far too much light to need iso5000 with f1.4 at 1/30th shutter. The rope light and DJ lights should be totally blown out at iso5000 and the video screen would look almost totally white.

believe me, it is ISO5k. It was the only thing that would work at those situations. Those dj lights are the only thing lighting that place otherwise it would be almost pitch black.

Mike Hannon June 4th, 2010 08:59 AM

Do you have Highlight Tone Priority switched on?

If so, then turn it off.

Kalulu Ngilo June 4th, 2010 11:12 PM

lol! I have never touched those settings. All of them are currently seating at 0 - disabled.

its just that simple. ISO5k, 1.4 on the 50mm @ 1/30. Believe it or not.