DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Got the H4 for my 5D but... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/479863-got-h4-my-5d-but.html)

Kalulu Ngilo June 3rd, 2010 06:40 PM

Got the H4 for my 5D but...

Do I need anything else for audio? I have two shotguns, 1 wireless set(rx/tx), one hand held mic, and an adapter to connect to anything xlr-out and be able to transmit that signal via wireless.

Do I need a mixer, field, pre, whatever? Or can I survive as it is which I have so far...

Oh and when I use my H4 with my wireless system, I get mono only. Why is that?
============
Audio:
-Zoom H4n
-Limit was set to Concert because it was LOUD in there. Loud!
-Volume at 55, Rec. level at ~2-5. Loud!
-Manual audio on 5dmk2, level at 1 point.
-H4n was wireless sending via ew100 g2 to my receiver g2 shoe mounted on the mk.
-Mono audio in -> mk2, stereo left fill in in Premiere.
=====================

thanks.

Erik Andersen June 3rd, 2010 10:56 PM

On the Zoom H4N each XLR input gets one channel, so the stereo signal gets mixed to a mono one. Perhaps there's a way to split the signal from an XLR to two XLR connectors so that the left and right channels go to separate inputs on the Zoom. - anyone know?

Kalulu Ngilo June 4th, 2010 05:55 AM

I was only capturing using the H4 stereo mics and sending it out through headphone/line to wireless transmitter. But on the receiving end, it would come in mono instead even though I was using h4 built-in stereo mics.

So what would cause that to happen?

Jay Massengill June 4th, 2010 07:54 AM

Your wireless transmitter is only capable of sending a mono signal. You would either need a second wireless set and a correctly wired splitter cable to take the stereo feed from the H4n, or you would need a wireless set that's capable of sending two separate signals at the same time.

Tony Davies-Patrick June 4th, 2010 08:19 AM

I use 4 X Sony WRT & WRR sets in combination with H4 and get good results.
There's plenty of good advice on the H4 plus Url links in threads on the Audio section. Do a quick search in the DVinfo Search box.

Kalulu Ngilo June 4th, 2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 1534812)
Your wireless transmitter is only capable of sending a mono signal. You would either need a second wireless set and a correctly wired splitter cable to take the stereo feed from the H4n, or you would need a wireless set that's capable of sending two separate signals at the same time.

that's the dilemma. When I use the tiny mic(wireless lapel) with the transmitter, the audio rolls in as stereo. When I jack in from the H4 using a regular 3.5mm male-male cable, it rolls in as mono. :/

Jay Massengill June 7th, 2010 08:42 AM

The jack on the Sennheiser wireless transmitter isn't wired standard. It's designed to use either the Sennheiser lav mic element or the special line-level Sennheiser adapter cable.
In any event, the lav mic element is mono, the transmitter is mono, the receiver is mono. Even if the audio shows up in your editing software as two tracks, it isn't true stereo it's just two tracks of the same audio.
Depending on your editing software, it can be as easy as a couple of mouse clicks to make the single track of audio you're getting from the H4n transmission to show up in both left and right channels. However once you've sent the H4n stereo signal into the single mono transmitter there's no way to separate the two original inputs of the H4n again. Also depending on the cable you're using between the H4n and the transmitter, you may be getting cancellation or complete loss of some of the signal because of the way the transmitter input jack is wired. There's info about how this jack is wired on the Sennheiser site.