5D lens questions and ND thoughts - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #16
Major Player

They still go out on the far end just not attached to the camera. Even with a Mattbox
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
They still go out on the far end just not attached to the camera. Even with a Mattbox
Of course, it was just a silly quip -- wouldn't surprise me if the OP even understand that mattebox filters don't screw onto the lens (unless he's trolling us all...).

-- peer
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #18
Major Player

That could be the case, and I know you know. But he has frustrated me.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #19
Major Player

The best solution here is for him (assuming no trolls troll these waters) to go to a local camera store. They make quick work of showing which end of the lens is which - and why.
And then, of course, there are classes,which was already mentioned.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Jerry is right. You might consider a photography class. They might have one at Sierra College. (I used to live in Grass Valley.) Your local camera shop might sponsor workshops. I attended a Canon Intermediate workshop in Portland last year that was excellent. There are also photo clubs. We have one where I work that meets for lunch twice a month.

Then again, maybe you're a quick study. In that case, read everything you can at this site and other photo-oriented sites.

In any case, learn first. Spend later.

One other recommendation that I have is to figure out your shooting goals before you buy. Maybe you want to make nature films, an action movie, a romantic comedy, skateboarding docs, music videos, underwater library footage, Jackass videos, timelapses, stop action films, a prison documentary, wedding DVDs, astronomy films, or microscopic research captures. Each genre and your personal style within that genre might dictate the use of different equipment. Getting (buying or renting) the tools that you need to produce your vision is an important step in achieving your goals.
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post
All filters (that I've ever heard of) go on the far end of the lens.
Not wanting to confuse the OP but just to clarify that in special circumstances filters may indeed be fitted at body end of the lens. The obvious & most common case is that of a fisheye lens that is too bulbous for a screw on filter so has a little holder at the camera mount end for filters. I own the Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye can accommodate up to three gel filters EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Wide-Angle - Wide Angle Lens - EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye - Canon USA Consumer Products
There are also special filters that fit inside the camera body for astronomical photography
Astronomik EOS Clip Filter System
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #22
Major Player

hahaha........You guys crack me up.

Jerry you don't think I know much? I wonder why I am one of the top companies in my area...of course I am new to DSLR cameras.....but still....I know what I am getting into....just picking your guys brains about the lens since they do cost a pretty penny.

Thanks everyone for your help. Coming from the EX1r camera series, the whole interchangeable lens thing is new to me, and since these cameras are not even really video cameras I have to pick up on how the filters and whatnot goes together.

I think I got it sorted out now.
Thanks everyone.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #23
Major Player

Guys I think someone was just playin with ya.... if one is to be believed he is no noobie...

Sacramento Wedding & Corporate Videographer - Roseville Folsom Tahoe
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #24
Inner Circle

That's the thing about forums. You never know how much - or little - any given poster knows.

Confusing lens mounts and filter threads seemed pretty basic though...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD