DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5D and 7D look (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/480433-5d-7d-look.html)

Silas Barker June 15th, 2010 12:30 PM

5D and 7D look

I can get the EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit from BH for $1999

Or I could get the Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera Kit with Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AF Lens for $3299

Which is the better choice for VIDEOin your mind, with a short film, small crew, setting? Shooting will be in daylight outside alot.

Zachary Mattson June 15th, 2010 02:06 PM

This will really depend on what kind of budget you're looking at, and what else you plan to shoot in the future. I would say if you have the ability to spend the amount of the 5d2, and you you won't be using much low light shooting, go with a 7D and some better lenses.18-135 isn't terrible, but I would say get some faster lenses. A nifty-fifty is a must since it's cheap and looks great. Then there's a 24mm f1.8 prime you can get that's made by sigma that's pretty good (about $450 on ebay), and maybe look for something a little longer. The 5d is nice because if you aren't an audiophile, the new firmware makes their onboard audio input usable. Their will be + and - on either (cost, audio, lens selection), but I will say I've got a 7D and a few lenses, and I'm totally satisfied with my results thus far. For audio I just record externally or do the ipod trick and I'm good to go...Hope this helps

Silas Barker June 15th, 2010 02:15 PM

.....that 5D image is really looking amazing to me right now! haha

I was not aware that with the 7D you have to use a separate audio system...

Your right about the faster lens... I should look into that

Jeff Murray June 16th, 2010 06:53 AM

5D for me

I love the 5D because it has changed the way I shoot. I am not a professional, however the still images from the 5D can be breathtaking (21mexa p against 18 mexa p from the 7D- not much of a difference but I liek anything with higher numbers)- so I tend to add more still into my videos now.

I love the High Dynamic Range (HDR) timelapse (but you can do this on both 5D and 7D yet the low light HDR on a 5D is great). Eg: you might shoot middle of the day, but later do a timelapse of the sunset same day and edit into your video.

My father went the 7D way and what I do miss is the chance to shoot at 60 fps - as I shoot a lot of athletics and some real slow motion from the 5D would be great.

PS: on your other posts abour ND and Fader ND's I would recommend an 82mm with step down rings to you 77mm Canon lenses. I use a Sigma wide lense and its 82 - the one ND fits all my lenses evern the cheap 58mm 300mm EF that I have - with a massive step down.

If you can afford it - a 7D and a 5D would be great companions.

My 5c worth.

With regards

Jeff

Chris Barcellos June 16th, 2010 10:31 AM

Okay, just a few comments on this one.

1. Either the 5D or the 7D of for that matter the T2i, will serve your purposes in the shoot you describe. The 5D gives you a bit shallower depth of field, and more opportunities lenswise to shoot wide. A 28mm lens on the 7D acts like a normal lens on the 5D. From that standpoint, I am glad I have the 5d. On the other hand, with the TI2 I just bought, I got the kit 18 -55, and that gives you the 28mm equivalence.

2. Unless you know what you are doing with the 5D, and the sound input, you are probably going to end up shooting double system sound . Even with the levels adjustment, and the ability to shut off automatic gain in the latest firmware upgrades, you still cannot live monitor the signal during the shoot, either by watching the levels meters, or by headphone. So if you are only recording into the camera, you run the risk of clipping or sound being too low. I am currently using a beta version of Magic Lantern, which gives you live meter reading, so you can monitor the signal. It also provides a means of headphone monitoring. What I did in my last shoot is feed a mixer (Sign:ENG44) and send a signal to my Camera as well as to a small Tascam DR07. So far, the camera sound has been fine, and I haven't had to try to match the recorders sound, but it is nice to know that I have that back up. Moral of the story is don't ignore sound. It is a big deal in a small crew, even. So don't expect your camera operator to have to ride sound too.

Zachary Mattson June 16th, 2010 02:43 PM

Well, I am truly jealous of you 5D users when it comes to the Magic Lantern beta version! I chose the 7d over 5d because of the 24p framerate, and then a few months later Magic Lantern gives you the framerate and the audio, and the zebra stripes!

I would say to the thread starter, you will definitely be quite pleased whichever route you take. If you go with the 5D, I would still reccommend maybe skipping the 24-105L, and get a couple faster primes, because to truly take advantage of the DOF and low light, you're going to want to shoot faster than f4. If you get a 7D, faster lenses at maybe 24mm, 50mm, and something longer will leave you quite satisfied. I finished up a short film recently (22 min) shot primarily on the 7D, and I have no complaints with the 7D (outside the aliasing that you will get with every DSLR). Mostly shot at 24mm and 50mm, with the occasional 18mm and 250mm. DSLRs basically give opportunity to talent. If you have talent, you will be able to produce beautiful results with any of the DSLRs.

John De Rienzo June 16th, 2010 04:47 PM

Some shots from both Canon 5D MKii & 7D...Can you tell which is which!

We love both cameras and they compliment each other well with lenses also being a deciding factor on final quality. If you can afford both then get both IMHO! :)

Cheers.

Silas Barker June 18th, 2010 01:52 AM

Hey John,

I have limited access to Vimeo.... would it be possible to email the clip? Or send through YouSendit

I would really be interested in seeing the video you have and seeing if there is much difference between them on the same shoot,

Thanks, my email is silasbarker@ymail.com

Steve Phillipps June 18th, 2010 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John De Rienzo (Post 1539264)
Some shots from both Canon 5D MKii & 7D...Can you tell which is which!

I'd be surprised if anyone could tell on the net, the original image on a big monitor maybe, but it probably is pretty close.
AFAIK (which is not much from experience at least) is that the choice would mostly boil down to: if you want overcranking for slow motion then get the 7D as it'll do 60P, if you want shallow depth of field for a 35mm film look get the 5d as it's got the bigger sensor.
Steve

Nigel Barker June 18th, 2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 1539802)
I'd be surprised if anyone could tell on the net, the original image on a big monitor maybe, but it probably is pretty close.
AFAIK (which is not much from experience at least) is that the choice would mostly boil down to: if you want overcranking for slow motion then get the 7D as it'll do 60P, if you want shallow depth of field for a 35mm film look get the 5d as it's got the bigger sensor.
Steve

The crop sensor of the 7D means that you lose out on good wide angle lenses but at the other end it does mean that your effective reach of you telephoto lenses is longer. A 24mm lens on the 5DII is effectively a 36mm on the 7D while a 400mm lens on the 7D is equivalent to a 600mm. This could be a benefit if your subject matter is wildlife rather than landscapes.

Steve Phillipps June 18th, 2010 03:34 AM

Oh I think if it's wildlife then there's no choice at all, it'd be the 7D, for the reason you state Nigel, but also just as importantly for the slow motion. But it sounds like the OP is doing a people shoot.
Steve

Peer Landa June 18th, 2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1539803)
while a 400mm lens on the 7D is equivalent to a 600mm.

It's actually even "better" than that -- a 400mm will become a 640mm on the 7D.

-- peer