Filter ring lock adaptor...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 7th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Filter ring lock adaptor...?

Since I couldn't find an appropriate DvInfo forum for this question, I'll post it on this one since it's here I spend most of my time: I would like to lock some 77mm & 52mm lens/filter/lens securely together, but yet make it possible to unlock (hence, glue is out of the question). Is there any filter rings, or some sort of adaptors, that can do this?

Any help or pointers appreciated.

-- peer
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Contributor

If you want to put a 77mm filter on a 52mm lens, you need a 52-77mm stepup ring, readily available at B&H and other places.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you want to put a 77mm filter on a 52mm lens, you need a 52-77mm stepup ring, readily available at B&H and other places.
No, I'm not looking for a step-down/up ring -- what I need is two rings/adaptors that LOCK together (to prevent the lens from unscrewing and fall off during follow-focus pulls).

-- peer
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Contributor

Oh, OK. I've never known any to loosen up when focusing. The focus ring is well away from the very front of the lens on most lenses. Also, a filter that's difficult to remove because it's too tight is a lot more common than one that loosens up. In fact, I carry one of those rubber disc jar lid openers in my bag to remove stuck filters because if you try to turn them by squeezing the edges they only get worse.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Oh, OK. I've never known any to loosen up when focusing. The focus ring is well away from the very front of the lens on most lenses.
This is an anamorphic lens that attaches via a series of filter rings.

-- peer
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #6
New Boot

I have the same issue with an anamorphic adapter. If you use a standard filter step ring, how do you insure that the anamorphic is in the proper orientation while keeping the rings tight?

We need some sort of rotating/locking collar between the filter threads to allow setting the anamorphic lens. Otherwise, I think it would be fairly easy to modify a step ring to have set screws which would lock it in place.

Talk to a camera repair shop about this. Usually, repair guys are pretty creative with custom work.
Warren Ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Tourist

anamorphic mounting clamps

these are pretty slick...

anamorphic lens mounting adapter cool... - eBay (item 180533356969 end time Jul-24-10 19:19:49 PDT)
Alan Doyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD