Why no 1DM4 users?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #16
New Boot

Time for a 1dmkIV forum

Count me as a user (x2). Much easier to lug around a kit that can do both still and video. I'm a still photographer at heart, but the ability to shoot both sold me.
Jeffrey Billings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Billings View Post
Much easier to lug around a kit that can do both still and video. I'm a still photographer at heart, but the ability to shoot both sold me.
Yeah I know, the 5d2 is a dog when it comes to photography -- caveat emptor!
</irony off>

-- peer
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #18
Trustee

I think the biggest deterrant for most is the price. For the cost of the 1dmkiv you could almost buy a 7d & a Sony NX5 and be covered for pretty much any situation.

$5000 might make plenty of sense to guys who shoot photo's professionally as well, but for video only purposes spending that amount of money on a DSLR would be hard to justify. However, if the 1d series or Nikon's D3 series ever start to offer all the functionality of a camcorder (multiple frame rates, audio levels, histogram, zebras, longer record times) then alot more videographers would be very tempted.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I think the biggest deterrant for most is the price.
To me the deterrent is the small sensor size of the 1d. Back when I got my 5d, if someone had offered me a 1d for the same price as the 5d, I'd still say no to the 1d. But that's me.

-- peer
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #20
Contributor

For video the 1D is not an image quality improvement over the 5D--it is a low light improvement as well as the ruggedness of the build quality.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #21
Major Player

There is more the the 1D then just lowlight and build quality. I have never had my 1D overheat while both my 7Ds and my 5D have gotten heat warnings in extreme situations... I haven't really used my T2i enough to have had heat problems with it. The 1D has performed like a champ under the same conditions. Some don't relize that as that sensor heats up you get more noise. Also the batteries last way longer than the 5D/7D... But you could argue size/cost.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #22
Major Player

... Not to mention I think it has a slightly edge on the others when it comes to rolling shutter and aliasing. I also like the additional display below the LCD for a color temp readout etc...
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
There is more the the 1D then just lowlight and build quality. I have never had my 1D overheat while both my 7Ds and my 5D have gotten heat warnings in extreme situations...
I'd like to see what those "extreme situations" looked like that caused your 5d to overheat. A week ago I did a gig with my 5d, from early morning to late evening, in scolding heat and clay dust (Salinas California) and although I almost passed out myself, the 5d didn't give any hints of overheating or any other hiccups. Hence -- and let me quote myself here -- back when I got my 5d, if someone had offered me a 1d for the same price as the 5d, I'd still say no to the 1d. I'm sorry, but I start to believe the 1d might just be a marketing ploy by Canon to sell more cameras.

-- peer
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #24
Major Player

i'll take the 1dIV over the 5d2 any day. better build quality, better AF, dual card slots, 10FPS,
better balanced. But I shoot stills as well as video. better make that a 1DsIV for FF fans.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #25
Major Player

If I remember well, the 1D seemed to have more info in the highlights on the Zacuto test
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD