5D shooting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Major Player

5D shooting

Happy owner of 5D is shooting a short film this fall...

I have the camera, lenses, and batteries...

I am considering getting a Marshall 7" screen to focus, see picture, etc better.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments on this monitor or anything else that might be helpful that is cheap?
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Try the Ikan monitors. Not as great in regards to quality from what I hear but a little less when it comes to hitting your wallet.
Alexandru Cristescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandru Cristescu View Post
Try the Ikan monitors. Not as great in regards to quality from what I hear but a little less when it comes to hitting your wallet.
Yes, I'll second that. I own a V5600 that I use for frame & focus -- it's not something to write home about but it works okay. If you're looking for false colors, etc, check out the Marshall or the Smallhd.com.

-- peer
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I love the SmallHD DP1X monitor and the new smaller monitor looks like it will be an excellent choice to work with the 5D.
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Wrangler

The Marshalls are good for judging framing and focus. False color is proving to be the best way to judge exposure which is critical with these cameras--WYSIWYG is not really viable with this class of monitor (I've been fooled plenty).
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
The Marshalls are good for judging framing and focus. False color is proving to be the best way to judge exposure which is critical with these cameras
I was debating exactly this myself before I decided to go for the V5600. Perhaps before buying, anyone should try to figure out what's most important to them: frame & focus (and then do color & light in post), or pay more and then fickle with the settings as they shoot.

-- peer
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I have the Marshall, and agree its a great monitor and the false colors feature is indeed a great exposure aid.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD