Unable to import 5D video file to computer, HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 7th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Unable to import 5D video file to computer, HELP!

Unable to import 5D video file to computer, HELP!

I have had no problem importing small under 1 minute test clips into the computer, but today, I ran a 8 minute clip at a wedding, and it does not import into the computer. It gives an error on the screen of the camera when i try to copy the file:

Err 70
Shooting is not possible
Turn the power switch to off or re-install the battery.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It looks like you are copying the files off the card while it is still in the camera. Most people take the card out of the camera & use a Compact Flash reader. I use a Lexar FW800 model that is much faster than using USB. I suggest that you try a CF reader to rule out any problem with the camera. If the file itself is corrupt then you may still have a problem of course.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #3
Major Player

For anyone having this problem:

Just figured out the solution:

For small video clips under 600 mbs you can easily copy the video file, for video files larger or longer then that here is the solution:

Install the ZoomBrowser software and copy files using that. It will take awhile but it does work.
You can copy the footage directly from the camera with the card in it.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
But why would you do that?

-- peer
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post

-- peer
Why not? Camera have that CF reader BUILT IN. I have yet to see any proof that this operation damages camera somehow. According to the manual it is perfectly acceptable solution. On the other hand, every time you take out and insert the card the possibility of breaking contact pins and damaging the camera arises greatly.
Ilya Mamonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Mamonov View Post
Why not? Camera have that CF reader BUILT IN. I have yet to see any proof that this operation damages camera somehow. According to the manual it is perfectly acceptable solution.
I don't think anyone could think it would possibly "damage" the camera, that would be absurd. No, it has to do with convenience -- I don't know how you normally work, but when I shoot I most often have the rig mounted on a tripod (and/or a slider), and hence, it would be quite bothersome to move my computer to where the camera is setup, find a table for it, and then run a cable between the computer and the camera. Besides, most often I record on several cards that I swap between the camera and the computer backup, so the camera is always ready to go. Since a card reader is like $5 it's not a big investment for the convenience it provides, (i.e., for not having to haul around your computer to wherever the camera is stationed).

-- peer
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, I agree that there are situations where using a reader would be the only way to do it. So you have to specify that it depends on the situation. Simply stating "But why would you do that?" implies that this method is somehow incorrect.
Ilya Mamonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Unloading files using a FW800 CF reader is several times faster than hooking up the camera with a USB cable. There are now also eSATA CF readers which theoretically should be faster still.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #9
Sponsor: Westside AV

And on MBP's use the Express34 slot. It is 5-6 times as fast as USB on a Mac. And it is convenient no wires just an adapter the size of an Express34 slot.
Old August 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
I have yet to see any proof that this operation damages camera somehow.
Quote:
Simply stating "But why would you do that?" implies that this method is somehow incorrect.
Please. I have never said or "implied" that hooking up the camera to a computer was "incorrect" or that it will "damage the camera" -- that's absurd. I merely asked why Silas wouldn't use a card reader instead since I fail to see any benefits from not using one.

-- peer
Old August 8th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Major Player

What does Silas do when the card is full?

An external reader is what? 9.99 on NewEgg? I have them stuffed in every gear case I have...

Silas...one day you may find it a waste to tie up the camera as a media unloader...it's a camera. Unloading/backing up cards may have to happen while you're shooting on the next card...

Also keep in mind that the USB port on your camera probably isn't the fastest. A little card reader may speed you up by a considerable amount.

I'm sure there is some sort of "pin breakage" risk... But since the industry as a whole removes media and transfers with some sort of card reader whether you're using SDHC, Compact Flash, P2 or SxS, i suspect it's slight.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Hey everyone....

Thanks for the comments.

I use the camera for video shooting and do not need a card reader as I can simply connect the camera to the computer and use Zoom Browser to copy all video clips and still images.

If you needed to use the camera while backing up a card reader would make sense. For me its easier to just have extra cards or back it up when I get home from a shoot.

As far as I know there is no risk using the camera. Its faster to copy with a card reader.
Silas Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD