5D MKII or VX2100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 24th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

5D MKII or VX2100

If you had a Sony VX2100 or a 5D MKII to make a video with, which one would you choose and why? A friend of mine is making a short video to pitch an idea for a new show on a local access channel and both type of cameras are availble, but we don't know enough to compare. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ron
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Major Player

5DMkII hands down due to the image quality and bokeh it can produce. But then again, it might not suit your film style/budget.. the two cannot really be compared side by side.
Johannes Soetandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Very much apples and oranges, it depends on the nature of your show and it's requirements.

If a shallow depth of field is important you should consider the 5D, but you'll probably have to accept a higher percentage of soft shots because it's more difficult to maintain focus, especially on moving subjects.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Anderson View Post
A friend of mine is making a short video to pitch an idea for a new show on a local access channel and both type of cameras are availble, but we don't know enough to compare. Any thoughts?
If you don't know enough to compare - you are probably not a experienced videographer. Due to this it will be for you much easier to film and edit with VX2100. Its easy to use - good in low light camera.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #5
Trustee

I've owned the VX2000 and Canon 7D, which are close kin to the 2100 and 5Dm2. Unless your show will be broadcast in HD, which sounds unlikely on public access, the VX2100 will make you job so much easier.

In fact, any camcorder will be easier to use overall than any DSLR. That's not a knock on DSLR's because they are wonderful for what they can do. But for shear ease of use while still producing great quality, I'll take a camcorder any time.
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Trustee

easier - yes, VX2100, looking awesome - 5Dmkii no second thought, just spend some time with 5D if you never shot with it, and don't keep your aperture wide open all the time
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. I am leaning toward the ease of use/editing of the VX2100.

Ron
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Contributor

That's a good move, as long as the channel isn't HD and doesn't do 16:9.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD