Question regarding 5d and Marshall Monitor set up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Question regarding 5d and Marshall Monitor set up

I am about to buy the
Marshall V-LCD70XP-HDMI 7" LCD Field Monitor

for 5d VIDEO shooting.

Should I also get a HDMI cable or is the a/v out on the camera the same quality and everything as the HDMI?

Any suggestions for clamping the monitor to the camera or how does this work?

Comments?
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You will need to get an adapter to plug into the monitor from the AV Video jack. It is not RCA.

Also, be aware that if you are using camera to record sound, there is the potential off feed back from the monitor. When I did that with an LCD4Video monitor hooking up that, I did get buzzing. So when I got the Marshall, I was happy to use HDMI. I am happy with the results of the HDMI feed, even when the camera switches to low rez at time of recording.

You will not want to mount the monitor off the hot shoe. It will rip it off. My hot shoe is loose just trying to mount a ligher accessory.

I use rails to mount the monitor in back of camera when tripod shooting. At other times, you can mount monitor on a cheap tripod next to the tripod with the Canon on it.

See pictures attached below of rails. When I am shooting on shoulder, I opt for eye loupe to focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Question regarding 5d and Marshall Monitor set up-marshall1.jpg   Question regarding 5d and Marshall Monitor set up-marshall2.jpg  

Old August 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I see...
Can you just turn the monitor volume down to avoid feedback?

What is the best rail system for the monitor and camera? Tight budget for this.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Also, I do not know if there is a better monitor to use.....

Here is what i am hoping for:

attach large (7") monitor to hot shoe of 5d and avoid rails system etc.....most shots will be glidecam, jib and tripod.

Perhaps one of the magnifer systems with a hood over the 5d would be better??

Looking to spend under $900 for monitor and setup if possible. Mainly want it for focusing.

Maybe Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x ??
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Rails: indiSYSTEM - indiRAILSpro 12

Mounts to mount on Rails: DIY Rail Mount - Standard Rail Mount Accessory for your DIY Projects - dfocussystem.com

I also use the DFocus Follow focus: D|Focus - The Affordable Follow Focus - dfocussystem.com

With these lens gears: D|Gears - Affordable Universal Lens Gear System - dfocussystem.com

Swivel is a Manfrotto 3232 : http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=manfrotto+3232&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3987404725&ref=pd_sl_ycnfi0xk2_e
About glide cam, that monitor will come in at about 2 pounds with a battery if you mount it. With a steady came, you won't beable to touch camera to to focus anyway, so you are prefocusing your shot and all you need to do is frame.

As far as Z finder, I made my own... but that is a cool product.

The marshall is cool for the other uses, but I have also mounted a 15 inch LCD monitor, I bought at Best Buy for $150 or so on a a DIY stand to compose with runing HDMI to it.

Marshall features are cool, and false colors are helpful for getting exposure right, and its worth it just for that-- especiallly shooting outdoors.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Chris, I'll check all that out......

I am wondering if the Maybe Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x might be better for my needs.
I could take it off for glidecam shots, and use it for the tripod and also handheld would be easier to use too.

Not sure if you have an opinion about that.....I was glad to hear that the Zacuto has a piece that covers the opening so you can avoid cooking your LCD screen in the sun -- good news!
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Inner Circle

That cover piece is a good idea. I had my homemade unit on my T2i and managed to burn a portion of the LCD.

For hand held, I think best way to go is with an eye piece.

But a monitor is needed to for your low angle tripod shots, dolly and jib shots...

I really like the Marshall for those needs mounted on the rails with the swivel..
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Major Player

I see...
I have a cheap color monitor I could use for the jib, but I think you can use the Z-Finder Pro 2.5x for tripod shots, right? and its great for handheld.

The film I am working on will require mostly tripod and handheld shots plus the occasional jib shot (i'll have to preset focus probably for that) and glidecam shots (again preset focus).

I am concerned that the marshall monitor and rails and everything is going to be a ton of equipment to lug around with more things to go wrong.......not sure exactly what is best for this film i am creating....
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #9
Inner Circle

The finder is not as useful on tripod, if you are shooting low and high angles, or even in panning (vertical and horizontal). In those situation you either have to use the LCD or HDMI it out to a monitor, whether in be a Marshall or something else. I have no problem with using what you have, but remember to pay close attention to exposure, especially outdoors in sunlight, because you can miss the clipping of the highlights, or it won't be so obvious. The Marshall helps with that, but you have lots of budgetary issues to deal with.
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Got it......
I think I will do some more research and then probably start with the Z-Finder Pro 2.5x and then upgrade my monitor later on as budget allows.

My only complaint with the onboard lcd screen is:
1- small for focusing
2 -hard to see in bright outdoors light

Z-Finder Pro 2.5x would fix this.

I have had no problem with low angles and such yet, but also have not done tons of crazy angles yet (though I want to!)

I'll check to see any threads out there that might have info.

Thanks again for your help, Chris, really appreciate it!
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
I have had no problem with low angles and such yet
Try to do a crab crawl with the Z-Finder, and I'll bet you'd be begging for a monitor instead ;^)

-- peer
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #12
Trustee

I always thought that the best monitor would automatically switch between HDMI and Composite. While your framing your shot and setting focus, you would be viewing via HDMI. But then when you start recording, the HDMI signal would drop and the monitor would automatically switch to Composite.

I haven't done the research yet to see if such a monitor exists yet. I'm currently using the Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x and honestly, that combined with the bare LCD has been working well enough for me. Although some of my shots have been soft. A larger monitor would be nice.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Inner Circle

If you are hooked into HDMI with the Marshall, it will automatically switch between HD and low rez feed.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I always thought that the best monitor would automatically switch between HDMI and Composite. While your framing your shot and setting focus, you would be viewing via HDMI. But then when you start recording, the HDMI signal would drop and the monitor would automatically switch to Composite.

I haven't done the research yet to see if such a monitor exists yet. I'm currently using the Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x and honestly, that combined with the bare LCD has been working well enough for me. Although some of my shots have been soft. A larger monitor would be nice.
Are your shots soft when using the onboard LCD or Zacuto or both?
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Trustee

Sorry, should have given more detail.

I was trying to capture a car driving round and round a traffic circle shooting at f/2.8. So my depth of field was VERY shallow and focus was critical. When I'm shooting stationary objects (people, buildings, etc...) focusing is not an issue.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD