5D MKII vs. The new 60D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

5D MKII vs. The new 60D

I have 3 5Ds, and I just sold some of my old cameras and looking to buy 2 new ones and I was thinking the new 60d but I don't want to downgrade my quality or loose a full frame chip.

What do you guys and gals think?
Thanks
Ryan
Ryan McHugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, the 60D doesn't have a full frame chip. So....
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Major Player

Keep 1 5DM2 so you can have full frame and wide angle, 60D will be good for longer distance and low and odd angle shoot, use the camera most appropriate for your shoot.
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #4
Contributor

If you don't want to lose the full frame chip, then you don't have any choice, since the 5DMKII is the only full frame chip camera Canon makes.

The 60D is more plastic, uses SD cards and different batteries. Seems to me it's the T2i in a bigger body, with a flipout screen.

My first thought was that the flipout screen might be nice. But if you do any handheld shooting, you know that pushing the LCD viewer (I use the Hoodman crane) up to your eye provides a third contact point for much needed stability. If you have to hold the camera out in front of you, then you lose that. So the disadvantage outweighs the advantage, in my opinion. Unless the screen flips over and folds back against the camera, as one of their older point-and-shoot cameras used to do. Then it would be cool.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
The 60D is more plastic, uses SD cards and different batteries. Seems to me it's the T2i in a bigger body, with a flipout screen
Agree. If you want to go crop then get 7D or maybe 1DIV.
Ilya Mamonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I would look at the 7D, then. Everything I have ever heard about that cam is good, and it supposedly shoots equal quality video. I do not yet own either but am in the process of determining which is the better bet for my business.
If you already have the 5D the 7D will give you a possible advantage in telephoto work. You could use the 5D for wide work, the 7D for tele work.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ehhhh I think I may just pick up another couple 5Ds and some new lenses and call it a day. lol
Ryan McHugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Get one 7D and another 5D. That way you can change things up. Having the longer tele on the 7D is nice, but FF is more awesome!! (Is that proper English???)

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
Get one 7D and another 5D. That way you can change things up. Having the longer tele on the 7D is nice, but FF is more awesome!! (Is that proper English???)
Awesome, awesomer, awsomest:-)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McHugh View Post
I was thinking the new 60d but I don't want to downgrade my quality or loose a full frame chip.
Beside its price and flip out screen, what does the 60D offer beyond what the 5D already has/does..? I don't get it.

-- peer
Old August 29th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

60D - Does this use same LP E6 battery system as the 5D / 7D????
Josh Fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes, according to specs I saw.
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Beside its price and flip out screen, what does the 60D offer beyond what the 5D already has/does..? I don't get it.

-- peer
If you're using the camera purely for video recording, there aren't huge differences between the t2i, 60D, 7D, 5D Mark II, and 1D Mark IV. After using all 4 available cameras in the field (minus the 60D), you'll only notice only incremental changes from each model up.

In terms of video quality, what you'll see as you upgrade is cleaner high-ISOs, more control over White Balance, and perhaps slightly better dynamic range.

So to answer your question, the 60D (or even t2i) is a steal compared to the 5D when it comes to recording video. But if you expect to push ISO beyond 1250, I would check out actual footage first to see if you can live with the noise at that level.
Raymond Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post

-- peer
720p60 (useful for slow mo).
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:39 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Tsang View Post
So to answer your question, the 60D (or even t2i) is a steal compared to the 5D when it comes to recording video.
No, that is what I said; "BESIDE its PRICE (and flip out screen) what does the 60D offer beyond what the 5D already has/does?" You also fail to mention the 5D's full frame and what it does for DOF -- something I wouldn't give up for any so-called "steal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
720p60 (useful for slow mo).
And who would step down to 720p for slowmo all the time you can do it much better in post..?

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD