DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5D MKII vs. The new 60D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/483968-5d-mkii-vs-new-60d.html)

Ryan McHugh August 28th, 2010 07:47 AM

5D MKII vs. The new 60D

I have 3 5Ds, and I just sold some of my old cameras and looking to buy 2 new ones and I was thinking the new 60d but I don't want to downgrade my quality or loose a full frame chip.

What do you guys and gals think?
Thanks
Ryan

Perrone Ford August 28th, 2010 08:58 AM

Well, the 60D doesn't have a full frame chip. So....

Khoi Pham August 28th, 2010 09:18 AM

Keep 1 5DM2 so you can have full frame and wide angle, 60D will be good for longer distance and low and odd angle shoot, use the camera most appropriate for your shoot.

Bill Pryor August 28th, 2010 09:31 AM

If you don't want to lose the full frame chip, then you don't have any choice, since the 5DMKII is the only full frame chip camera Canon makes.

The 60D is more plastic, uses SD cards and different batteries. Seems to me it's the T2i in a bigger body, with a flipout screen.

My first thought was that the flipout screen might be nice. But if you do any handheld shooting, you know that pushing the LCD viewer (I use the Hoodman crane) up to your eye provides a third contact point for much needed stability. If you have to hold the camera out in front of you, then you lose that. So the disadvantage outweighs the advantage, in my opinion. Unless the screen flips over and folds back against the camera, as one of their older point-and-shoot cameras used to do. Then it would be cool.

Ilya Mamonov August 28th, 2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

The 60D is more plastic, uses SD cards and different batteries. Seems to me it's the T2i in a bigger body, with a flipout screen
Agree. If you want to go crop then get 7D or maybe 1DIV.

Steve Wolla August 28th, 2010 08:02 PM

I would look at the 7D, then. Everything I have ever heard about that cam is good, and it supposedly shoots equal quality video. I do not yet own either but am in the process of determining which is the better bet for my business.
If you already have the 5D the 7D will give you a possible advantage in telephoto work. You could use the 5D for wide work, the 7D for tele work.

Ryan McHugh August 29th, 2010 09:07 AM

Ehhhh I think I may just pick up another couple 5Ds and some new lenses and call it a day. lol

Daniel Weber August 29th, 2010 09:29 AM

Get one 7D and another 5D. That way you can change things up. Having the longer tele on the 7D is nice, but FF is more awesome!! (Is that proper English???)

Daniel Weber

Nigel Barker August 29th, 2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Weber (Post 1563865)
Get one 7D and another 5D. That way you can change things up. Having the longer tele on the 7D is nice, but FF is more awesome!! (Is that proper English???)

Awesome, awesomer, awsomest:-)

Peer Landa August 29th, 2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan McHugh (Post 1563608)
I was thinking the new 60d but I don't want to downgrade my quality or loose a full frame chip.

Beside its price and flip out screen, what does the 60D offer beyond what the 5D already has/does..? I don't get it.

-- peer

Josh Fung August 29th, 2010 03:33 PM

60D - Does this use same LP E6 battery system as the 5D / 7D????

Chris Barcellos August 29th, 2010 10:29 PM

Yes, according to specs I saw.

Raymond Tsang September 1st, 2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1563938)
Beside its price and flip out screen, what does the 60D offer beyond what the 5D already has/does..? I don't get it.

-- peer

If you're using the camera purely for video recording, there aren't huge differences between the t2i, 60D, 7D, 5D Mark II, and 1D Mark IV. After using all 4 available cameras in the field (minus the 60D), you'll only notice only incremental changes from each model up.

In terms of video quality, what you'll see as you upgrade is cleaner high-ISOs, more control over White Balance, and perhaps slightly better dynamic range.

So to answer your question, the 60D (or even t2i) is a steal compared to the 5D when it comes to recording video. But if you expect to push ISO beyond 1250, I would check out actual footage first to see if you can live with the noise at that level.

Bill Binder September 1st, 2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1563938)

-- peer

720p60 (useful for slow mo).

Peer Landa September 1st, 2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond Tsang (Post 1565068)
So to answer your question, the 60D (or even t2i) is a steal compared to the 5D when it comes to recording video.

No, that is what I said; "BESIDE its PRICE (and flip out screen) what does the 60D offer beyond what the 5D already has/does?" You also fail to mention the 5D's full frame and what it does for DOF -- something I wouldn't give up for any so-called "steal".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Binder (Post 1565112)
720p60 (useful for slow mo).

And who would step down to 720p for slowmo all the time you can do it much better in post..?

-- peer