Stabilizer Noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Stabilizer Noise

I usually shoot video with my 24-105 F4L but shot some acoustic music with my 70-200 F4L. Even though it was on a tripod I didn't turn off the stabilizer (IS) for the shoot. I'd literally never heard noise from it before in my videos. I used a RODE SVM mic attached to the hotshoe of the camera.

Is the 70-200 F4L notorious for loud IS noise or perhaps my lens needs repair. I can turn on IS on the 24-105 and barely hear it but I can definitely hear it on the 70-200.

Second part of my question is how the heck I get that noise out of my audio - I have Sony Vegas Studio 10 HD with the NewBlue sound filters.....

TIA
Harry
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Canon 70-200 F4 IS is a terrific lens but when I first got mine I thought there was something wrong with it (as the IS was so much louder than my Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS, which is basically whisper quiet). I posted about it on here a while back, see post 4 onwards in this thread for details.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ilization.html

A web search I did at the time found lots of posts (mostly on photographic sites) about the noise of this lens compared to a few other Canon lenses so I came to the conclusion that mine is "normal" and have since grown to love this lens for it's optics (for stills and video). I must say I'm surprised you've never noticed the IS noise before but I suspect yours is just fine - maybe it was doing overtime because you had it on a tripod without switching it off, or the music was much quieter/further away from your on camera mic than you usually have the luxury of so your Rode SVM and the 5DMkIIs (AGC on, or ML hacked?) worked overtime.

As far as removing the IS noise you'll have some big issues unless (and I suspect I know the answer...) you did the much recommended double system sound (DSS) and have an audio track you can sync to. In Sountrack Pro, (I'm FCS/Mac mostly, just using Vegas 9/Win 7 for other stuff) I sometimes get successful results with subtracting room tone/aircon noise from spoken dialogue but I've never tried it with the more "grinding gears" noise my 70-200 F4 IS makes. Others may have suggestions...maybe post a specific question on the well supported All Things Audio section as some of the sound gurus that read that bit might be able to help you.

Good luck - and consider getting yourself a digital audio recorder for DSS (ideally off camera and up close and personal to the music, if possible) next time!
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Andy

I think the lower noise of the 24-105 gave me a false sense of it's ok since I'm using the RODE SVM.
I now know better the hard way. Lesson well learned. If I could get the mic farther off the cam....think i saw someone mention a bracket that aided. but yes the RODE SVM actually suggests that its a fairly short range mic though i've used it for over a year in larger spaces but usually for amped louder music.

I'll post this over in the Audio group...

thanks
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Harry,
I pick up some noise from the IS on an EF100-400 lens and also have a camera mic, so I know the problem. Now I switch the IS off when using a tripod.

I shoot nature, but the problem is the same. I found an Audition tutorial on Youtube and downloaded the trial version. You find an area of (in my case) a bid calling, quiet and calling again. Using Audition I was able to isolate and remove the traffic and IS noise fairly easily. Had to buy Soundbooth though, as Audition is not 64 bit. There are other good standalone programs out there for this sort of problem.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD