Cheap Matte Box for the 5D camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Cheap Matte Box for the 5D camera

Does anyone know of a cheap (under $100 or do it yourself) matte box for the 5d camera (for video shooting)

I am using the 50mm 1.4 lens, with a 58 to 77mm step up right, and ND fader on it.

Need it really soon, terrible flare when shooting towards the sun or if the sun is even above.

Maybe sun shade device would work???

I am thinking maybe buy the hot shoe hardware and attach a black piece of plastic or metal and it would shade the camera perhaps....
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I use one of these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Adorama-77mm-Tel...item335fc33061
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Major Player

cool,
Do you think that would go around the 77mm ND fader and 58-77mm step up ring on the 50mm (58mm size) lens?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It will actually screw into the front end of the 77 mm fader ring, hanging off of it. You will actually turn the fader by rotating it. My fader is a 52-58, for my Nikon lenses and my hood is stepped up to with a 58-72 adapater.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:30 AM   #5
Major Player

I think the outer thread of the ND filter may be larger then 77mm, because my 77mm cap does not fit on it....

Do you think I may need a 82mm (?) size of the hood you suggested or are you sure the 77mm will do it??

Thanks so much

I think the hood would turn with the ND fader, but that is fine if it works.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

My hood is actually a 72mm hood. It works well with my 28 to 80mm zoom, with the 5d, though I have to fold it back a wide open.

Obviously if you are pointing the lens up, and the sun is actually in the field of view, a shade is going to be in the field of view too. The lens hood should do fine with your normal lens covering the lens glass from direct rays.. But I do not know what your thread size is, so you have to order the thread size for your fader. Your fader thread size should be labled on your order.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD