A Collection of M42 Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Major Player

A Collection of M42 Lenses

So I have the following lenses that my Father in Law just gave me and I was wondering if any of them will work with our 5D's or our T2i's...

Super Takumar 35mm 3.5
Super Takumar 135mm 3.5
Super Takumar 55mm 2.0
Macro Takumar 50mm 4.0
Super Takumar 50mm 1.4

I know some M42 lenses won't focus to infinity or might incur into the mirror without modification - so does anyone know if these particular lenses work?
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

yeah, I've got several takumar's and they work great on my t2i. you got quite a great collection of lenses right there. I ordered my adapter from fotodiox and they work great.

I personally own

50mm 1.4
135mm 3.5
24mm 3.5
Peter Weisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Yep, those are fantastic lenses for the 5D, 7D, t2i for cine type work with the correct M42 to EOS adapter. You will probably have to cut off one of the levers next to the threads to make sure it doesn't interfere/damage the mirror. If the lenses are "SMC" Takumars it's even better since they have multiple coatings and less internal reflection. If so, it will say either "SMC" or "Super-Multi-Coated" around the inside rim of the lens.

I posted the following video on another thread a few days ago for other reasons, but I'll let you take a gander here also:

The following site provides info and reviews on these older lenses. Many are still quite desirable today and are fetching increasingly high prices as their tremendous build quality, great optics, and smooth focus rings are finding new applications on DSLR's for HD video.

Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Great info guys - Roger, do you have a link to a tutorial on the pin removal - I'm not even sure what I'd be looking at/for and I don't really want to screw these up...
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Contributor

I concur, having owned a couple of Pentax cameras back in the dark ages. Those are very nice lenses.

I'm using my ancient Nikkor lenses with the cheap adapters from eBay. B&H now sells Cinevate adapters for about $30 each, and i'll probably get those eventually. I don't know if they make threaded mounts or just for Nikkors. However, the cheap ones work great. They are brass, stainless steel coated. You'll want an adapter for each lens to make life simple. I don't remember the eBay seller offhand, but the word Mall is in the name. Very reliable, quick shipment. Only downside is you feel guilty because of those Chinese workers slaving away for two bucks a day.

Another thing about the old manual lenses is that they are solid yet compact, and they have a much longer and smoother focus throw than the new auto lenses designed primarily for auto focus. Much better for video, in my opinion.

I had to do some surgery on my Nikkor 24mm because the flange stuck out too far. It sounds like you may have to do something similar to yours. I lucked out in that my older daughter is a jeweler. It took her about 2 minutes to slice off the offending flange, and it's perfectly smooth. Rather than trying to do it yourself, I'd suggest finding a jeweler. They operate daily on gold and silver and diamond studded things that cost much more than a lens.

The downside of using manual lenses would be in still photography because, unlike the old Nikons, the 5DMKII doesn't have any split image focusing screens available and focusing is difficult with wide angles They do have one screen available you can switch to that allegedly makes focusing easier, but I'm not sure how good it is. The problem is easily solved if you simply leave your Hoodman, Zacuto or whatever LCD viewer you have on all the time and just forget about the viewfinder. That's what I do.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Kevin,

I can't show you the lever removal from beginning to end because I've already removed the lever on the 50mm f1.4. It's been quite a while since I modified this lens, but if I remember correctly the lever interfered with the adapter, mounting the lens, or I was concerned it would hit the mirror. You should determine if you need to remove the lever at all for your specific camera and adapter first:

I'll leave this on my site for a few days before removing.

Last edited by Roger Shealy; October 7th, 2010 at 04:56 PM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dooley View Post
So I have the following lenses that my Father in Law just gave me and I was wondering if any of them will work with our 5D's or our T2i's...

Super Takumar 35mm 3.5
Super Takumar 135mm 3.5
Super Takumar 55mm 2.0
Macro Takumar 50mm 4.0
Super Takumar 50mm 1.4

I know some M42 lenses won't focus to infinity or might incur into the mirror without modification - so does anyone know if these particular lenses work?
The most likely offender is the 35/3.5 on the 5D, the rest should be okay.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Awesome info guys - Roger thanks for the vid.

Ordered some adapters today, can't wait to start playing with the "new" lenses!
Old October 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Major Player

You may want to look at post #69 on this string to see how the Takumar 50mm f1.4 compares to some modern lenses (Starting at post #69 on page 5 if it doesn't automatically direct you there):

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...ml#post1576624
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD