DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Cheap lenses.. Why not? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/485893-cheap-lenses-why-not.html)

Marcello Mazzilli October 9th, 2010 08:01 PM

Cheap lenses.. Why not?

Around on the net, ebay etc, there are many cheap Canon EF lenses compatibile with 5d. They range from 10$ macros to 200$ for a 1600mm zoom, etc... My question.... Being the camera a 21mpixel camera, and needing for video only 2mpixel.... A slightly blurred or not perfect lens not so good for photography ... Could still work quite well for video.... Or not?
Obviously... You get what you pay for... But...?

Kin Lau October 9th, 2010 09:12 PM

The biggest problem is often the horrible colour fringing and chromatic aberations you get with the cheap glass you've mentioned. This is very noticeable on the cheap telephotos.

OTOH, legacy manual focus lenses from the 70's and 80's are often very good, just orphaned by technology (no AF or auto-iris control).

But after spending a few $$$$ on a 5Dm2, you can afford to spend $10- on a few pieces of cheap glass and try it yourself.

Jim Newberry October 10th, 2010 02:11 PM

Depends what you're shooting, and what kind of image you want. A lot of people are using plastic toy cameras and antique lenses these days to get interesting, degraded images. A really crap lens, like that on a Holga, can look really cool; on the other hand, a slightly crap lens might just look bad.

Reasons to get good (usually expensive lenses):

- speed (wider f stops, mean shooting in lower light and controlling depth of field)
- sharpness (not always essential, but for most conventional photography this is something you want)
- contrast/image quality (the "look" of the lens)
- lack of distortion (chromatic aberration, vignetting, optical distortion, etc)
- build quality

Poor quality lenses can be cheap and look cool, but you need to try them out first, or see samples of them in use.

Justin Benn October 11th, 2010 01:10 AM

Another reason to get good glass is to minimise 'breathing' while changing focus. Mind you, this is only really truly minimised with cinema glass. Also, having a large range of movement for focus control assists in modulating focus over small distances - and decent build quality will allow you to do that smoothly too.

That said, I'm surprised more folk don't take advantage of M42 adapters and the vintage worlds they open up...

Vishal Jadhav October 11th, 2010 05:59 AM

Hi Folks,

I did have a look at the possibiliy to use the older lenses,

Was more interested in the Nikon AIS lens series and hence last month bought the Nikkor 800 f/5.6 , got it imported from Japan and still trying it out.

Any one has guidence on using the long Nikkor telephotos on the 5D M II , i find it to heavy to use but i do like the focusing and since i use it on a tripod its a bit easier. Still need to put in a lot of practice to get better at this.

Kindly let me know any tips on using such AIS lenses on the 5D M II

best regards
Vishal

Jacques E. Bouchard October 11th, 2010 11:01 AM

I bought cheap filters when I first got my XH-A1, and they're fine in most cases but the flaws become apparent when zoomed in (soft image on the ND filters) or when sunlight shines on them (imperfections in the glass of the UV filter).

Like cheap lenses, they might be a great way to get started but they'll show their limitations.

Man Yip October 12th, 2010 02:26 PM

Marcello: Yes, why not, buy it, and show us the differences!! :]