Filming a motorbike race... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old October 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #1
New Boot

Filming a motorbike race...

Hello everyone

This is my first post so please be gentle...

I am currently working on a 'behind the scenes' documentary on motorbike short circuit racing. Thus far this has all been shot using the 5D at 25fps 1920 x 1080 using L primes and external sound.

I've looked at filming a race but assuming this needs to be shot at 50fps to cope with the speed? This is gonna make the doc look naff when I flick from film look to tv look? I notice the 7D and 60D can both shoot at 29.97fps at 1920 x 1080 but again I assume 29.97fps will be no better at coping with speed!

Any suggestions?

Out of interest is there a standard camera/lens for motorsport racing acquisition?
Richard Camble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Camble View Post
I've looked at filming a race but assuming this needs to be shot at 50fps to cope with the speed?
Unless you would like to do slomo in post, I'd keep it at 25p but rather bump the shutter speed.

I've shot quite a bit at the race track, but never a full race. Here's the closest (literally) I've gotten to the action -- at 00:30" the bike slides by me with only a few inches to spare:

-- peer
Old October 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #3
New Boot

i guess I will have to do some tests with different shutter speeds? what do tv shoot racing at?
Old October 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
i guess I will have to do some tests with different shutter speeds? what do tv shoot racing at?
I doubt they have one standard setup, but I know they use some ridiculous high shutter speeds for their on-board cameras: YouTube - MotoGP OnBoard in 2008 (notice the flying gravel rocks at 1:14")

And yes, it's always good to test shoot & practice. If you got a focus puller, I suggest that the two of you go out in normal city traffic and practice focus pulls on regular cars, shooting wide open (shallow DOF) -- there's a reason why there are professional focus pullers in Hollywood, because this is truly a gnarly art form ;^)

-- peer
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #5
New Boot

but the camera guys at circuits working for tv? what rig they on?
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
but the camera guys at circuits working for tv? what rig they on?
Again, I doubt there's any standard or formula they use. For instance, this is the camera they used at the Laguna Seca leg:
Attached Thumbnails
Filming a motorbike race...-motogp-cam.jpg  
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #7
New Boot

HOLLY **** what is that bad boy!
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Trustee

I would never stop saying "man, these binoculars suck... they won't even clip on my belt."
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD