DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   The Absolute Cheapest Way to Do a Dolly Move? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/486775-absolute-cheapest-way-do-dolly-move.html)

Anton Chernenko October 29th, 2010 02:20 AM

The Absolute Cheapest Way to Do a Dolly Move?

Have you guys seen this? The Absolute Cheapest Way to Do a Dolly Move

I am going to give it try today, their examples look pretty good, but it is similar to l"the absolute cheapest way to do panning with ordinary photo head", trying to do it as smoothly as possible

Andy Wilkinson October 29th, 2010 02:28 AM

OK, maybe I'm wrong but this looks like a pretty good way to get the tripod to slip and smash your camera hard on the floor to me - especially on a smooth tiled floor! I'd never do anything like that in front of a paying client either.

With care I'm sure (as in the demo) it's possible to get something "acceptable". However, tripod dollies (we have one, and a table top dolly - both from B Hague) really don't cost a lot of money - really - and are much cheaper than camera replacement costs.

Peer Landa October 29th, 2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Chernenko (Post 1583361)
their examples look pretty good

Well, you still would need a slider if you are gonna do sideways dollies.

-- peer

Mike Watson October 29th, 2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1583364)
I'd never do anything like that in front of a paying client either.

Not every paying client can afford the upcharge for a jib or a dolly. The ones who can't would be thrilled to see a move like that on a budget they CAN afford.

There is a lot of of stuff I read about online that I would never do in front of a paying client - this is not one of those things.

Assuming you had a firm hold on your camera (as instructed in the video), even if you went so low your tripod legs started to slip out from under you... I can't see how this would cause any damage.

Don't be a killjoy. Different people have different levels of skill and different production values.

Dan Brockett October 29th, 2010 09:32 PM

I have been doing this move for years. It works for certain things pretty well.

OTOH, my IndieSlider 24" only cost me $99.00 and clients have been thrilled with some of the moves I have shot for them with it. Anyone in this business can afford $99.00.

Dan

Kyle Root October 29th, 2010 10:03 PM

I have to admit, that is pretty neat. I never would have thought of that move.

I can see how that would work quite well if you are outside in the grass or on thick carpet.

I'm going to try and work on this move. lol

Last summer I built a dolly and track using the Digital Juice Dolly ideas. It was about $80 when all said and done and works pretty well. But for times when there is no time to set it up, this move would be a good substitute.

Ray Barber October 30th, 2010 02:29 AM

Just add the Free Steadicam and you're away.

YouTube - Free DIY Steadicam/stabilizer NO HARDWARE REQUIRED

He need to do some work on his homemade lens hood :)

Damian Heffernan October 30th, 2010 05:51 AM

Very cool. Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

Johannes Gruenig November 3rd, 2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1583649)
I have been doing this move for years. It works for certain things pretty well.

OTOH, my IndieSlider 24" only cost me $99.00 and clients have been thrilled with some of the moves I have shot for them with it. Anyone in this business can afford $99.00.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Do you mean the indiSLIDERmini? I just googled the indiSLIDER 24" and the website says it's $399.

How does the mini compare to the pro in terms of smoothness of motion?

Many Thanks,
-Johannes

Nigel Barker November 3rd, 2010 05:55 AM

This kind of move is even easier with a monopod with a video head like the Manfrotto 561BHDV which actually has feet to stop it skittering across a smooth tiled floor. Manfrotto Fluid Video Monopod with Head - Fluid

Glen Elliott November 6th, 2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Barber (Post 1583692)
Just add the Free Steadicam and you're away.

YouTube - Free DIY Steadicam/stabilizer NO HARDWARE REQUIRED

He need to do some work on his homemade lens hood :)

Wow talk about shaky footage! I wonder if the poster of this video actually thinks this even slightly rivals the results of a true steadicam/glidecam?

Mike Watson November 6th, 2010 12:41 PM

Probably looks 1000% better than those same moves with no apparatus. I don't think the guy was really looking to replace a Steadicam with a $0.99 bag.

Peer Landa November 8th, 2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott (Post 1585465)
Wow talk about shaky footage! I wonder if the poster of this video actually thinks this even slightly rivals the results of a true steadicam/glidecam?

Actually, the low crab-angle shots of the girl on the scooter skateboard aren't bad at all.

-- peer

Jim Martin November 13th, 2010 05:55 PM

Wheelchair.........

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com