DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Is it possible I have a faulty camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/486944-possible-i-have-faulty-camera.html)

Jared Kettle November 2nd, 2010 09:15 PM

Is it possible I have a faulty camera?

Hi all,

We have three 5D MKII's and have never had this problem before, only on the one camera. At first I thought it was heat related, but it happened again today and it was rainy, and certainly not hot.

We are using brand new Sandisk Extreme 16GB cards (60mb/s UDMA)

Here's a link to a video of it happening:

Today's instance was the same as the video above, however this time the card access light was constantly lit.

In the video (it was a very hot day, shooting outdoors) this error occurred and after resetting - you have to remove the battery - there was this weird strobing viewable in liveview.

Any ideas?

Dominik Seibold November 2nd, 2010 10:07 PM

Perhaps a firmware-update could resolve this issue.

Chris Barcellos November 2nd, 2010 11:26 PM

Not sure.

1. Are you reformatting your cards after each shoot, each shoot, after pulling your footage off ? Seems to me it is harder writing to these cards if they aren't reformatted once in a while.

2. First instance sounded like heating issue. Not sure why on cooler day, but could be residual on the cards from first day crash, if not reformatted ?

3. I found that using the cheap unchipped batteries or even running the OEM batteries in extended shoot has created erratic camera operation. Using the AC adapter for long shoots has helped resolve the problems.

Jared Kettle November 3rd, 2010 01:13 AM

Each Card is formatted in camera after being dumped to the computer. Need them fresh for each shoot.

We have 5 batteries per camera and all are Canon OEM.

After thinking about it a little more, it appears to only be happening on Card B. But I haven't tested the card on any of the other cameras. Is it possible the media is bad. That would mean we would of received two dodgy cards in a batch of 15. I'd hope not, as the media is exactly bottom of the range.

I would of though 60mbs would be plenty fast for the 5D. Do we need to go to 90mbs? I sure hope not as we've made a significant investment in the Extremes.

We've also been noticing a slight 'stutter' in footage on occasion - could this be because the media is to slow?

Personally, I wont to dump the Extremes and go to Lexar 600x cards, but my business partner is unsure whether it's necessary especially considering the cost involved of buying 15 of the suckers.

Bill Pryor November 3rd, 2010 07:56 AM

The 60 MB/s is more than fast enough, that's not the problem. I haven't seen anything like that before. First thing to do is make sure it's not the camera. I'd set the offending card(s) aside and use a different card and see if you can make it happen again. Just let the camera run until it hits the 12 minute limit, then start again, etc., and fill the card. Reformat and do it again. If it doesn't happen again, then you can probably safely assume it's the card. If it is a defective card, Sandisk will replace it.

Chris Barcellos November 4th, 2010 10:03 AM

Not that I recommend it, but I have been running some fairly inexpensive cards bought on a bargain at the local Fry's and I have not experienced such issues. The exception was an all day shoot in very hot conditions, and I was using the cheaper batteries at times.

I am guessing it is a bad media issue, based on the "b" card statement.

Tito Haggardt November 13th, 2010 03:42 PM

i had this problem on cards i bought on ebay
when i got cards from my local camera shop the problem went away
i think your card is not writing at the speed it should
check the card speed
there is money in fakes
aloha
tito

Jared Kettle November 19th, 2010 12:49 AM

They are certainly not fake.