Handheld camera support...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Handheld camera support...?

It's kind of hard to see, but I wonder if anyone knows what camera/neck support this guy is using:
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/image...ve/extinor.jpg

-- peer
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Major Player

Looks just like a Manfrotto monopod I once had with the optional feet piece (Big black bit) on the bottom.

Maybe he's got a strap attached to the bottom of it which goes up round his neck just making a simple moveable support.
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah I've seen people use a monopod with a flag carrier harness like that...

Leather Flag Carrier: Double Harness - Flags & Accessories - Military Gear | Parade Decorations
Scott Bellefeuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm a big fan of the humble monopod. It's doesn't get the hype of some of the fancy shoulder-mount DSLR solutions, but I'm starting to see it as the one truly indispensable piece of camera support equipment.

As for the image from the OP it does look like some kind of variation on the flag-pole holder idea. I've been thinking of DIYing up something like this myself so it would be great to get a bit more of an idea about, or a clearer picture of this rig.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Denham View Post
As for the image from the OP it does look like some kind of variation on the flag-pole holder idea. I've been thinking of DIYing up something like this myself so it would be great to get a bit more of an idea about, or a clearer picture of this rig.
The only thing I know about this picture (besides being of Ben Spies chatting with Cal Crutchlow) is that it was shot at the race track in Valencia, Spain, last Sunday. So yes, it would be interesting to know if this device might be a new European monopod/shoulder thingee, or perhaps just a DIY hack.

-- peer
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Handheld camera support...?

I have used this product and it works well. This product is able to handle video camera such as EX3 or DSLR with accessories. The post is telescopic and the handles on the bottom locks the main post in place, so virtually the operator can stand there without holding anything. Quick release is added to hold the camera. I use same quick releases so I can switch between video camera or Canon 5D2. The constructional post is also adjustable to fit the torso.
Attached Thumbnails
Handheld camera support...?-img_4145.jpg   Handheld camera support...?-lhgp100.jpg  

Inna Lantsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Major Player

What's the name of this product?
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

GoPod

It's a GoPod - currently out of production although some available second hand on the Bay.

I would say unless you had the Gimbal it will be very unstable video unless your standing still.

Would love to know if anyone tested the Gimbal and how stable it is with that fitting.

Order GoPod – The Natural Evolution of Photography
Jeff Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

GoPod

I must tell you, I never used this product with the Gimbal but I used it with a ball head and it's a 100% more stable then holding it by hand and almost as stable as monopod but a little easier if you run and gun.
Inna Lantsman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD