if life gives me a chance, only to buy one lense for my canon 5d that would be... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old November 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

if there a site where i can see a compar between difference lenses used with Canon 5d for video
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

You're already on the right site. Go to our sample clips gallery:

EOS 5D Mk. II Sample Clips Gallery Forum at DVinfo.net

The lenses used are usually indicated within each post.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi, Wajahat.............

Don't know if this will move the discussion forward or simply reveal my total ignorance of shooting video with a DSLR (as I don't) but I do know quite a bit about SLR's and lenses.

My two favourite lenses for my brace of Canon A1's (the SLR's, not the video cams - think 80's antique, oldens but goodens, still going strong) are the 20 - 35 mm f3.5 (35 mm) glued to one body, in my view one of the best lenses Canon ever produced and the 85 mm f1.8 which is glued to the other.

The first is for general, indoor and "up close and personal" shooting of any sort, everything is in focus all the time and it probably rarely ever shifted off 20 mm in all the years I've owned it.

The second was for those "stand out from the crowd" moments when you really wanted one pin sharp subject in a sea of blur.

I think the 85 mm would be a sod for video unless perfectly staged, tho' for pinpoint shooting of one individual standing/ sitting still, a godsend.

The 20 - 35mm would be perfect for video as your never have to touch the focus ring (no auto back in them days!)

I have no idea if there are comparable lenses available today (I suspect the 20 - 35 mm would be a pretty hard act to follow with small sensors) but if there are, and you had the pockets for it, I'd say that was the way to go.

However, as has been said previously, your stock lens is probably man enough for the job required of it and spending the dinero on sound would probably make a lot more sense.

Just my twopence worth.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #19
Major Player

I agree with Chris. The Canon 85mm f1.8 lens is one of my favorites.

You could get some great close up shots (not taking about macro) with this lens and really make the background fall off. It would be a good complement to the 24-105.

Another lens is just a standard 50mm f 1.4.

Both the 85mm and the 50mm are less than $400.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #20
Major Player

You've really got the lens i use the most and that's the 24-105 f4L - DOF is always a concern so you really need a good DOF calulator - I use one on my iPhone.

I have the 85mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8 but shooting at 1.8 provides an achingly shallow Depth of Field so you really have to have a way to make sure your focus is right on. I now use an external monitor to aid in focusing which helps alot.

The 24-105 f4L is a sweet lens that's served me well.
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Don't know if this will move the discussion forward or simply reveal my total ignorance of shooting video with a DSLR (as I don't) but I do know quite a bit about SLR's and lenses.

My two favourite lenses for my brace of Canon A1's (the SLR's, not the video cams - think 80's antique, oldens but goodens, still going strong) are the 20 - 35 mm f3.5 (35 mm) glued to one body, in my view one of the best lenses Canon ever produced and the 85 mm f1.8 which is glued to the other.

The first is for general, indoor and "up close and personal" shooting of any sort, everything is in focus all the time and it probably rarely ever shifted off 20 mm in all the years I've owned it.

The second was for those "stand out from the crowd" moments when you really wanted one pin sharp subject in a sea of blur.

I think the 85 mm would be a sod for video unless perfectly staged, tho' for pinpoint shooting of one individual standing/ sitting still, a godsend.

The 20 - 35mm would be perfect for video as your never have to touch the focus ring (no auto back in them days!)

I have no idea if there are comparable lenses available today (I suspect the 20 - 35 mm would be a pretty hard act to follow with small sensors) but if there are, and you had the pockets for it, I'd say that was the way to go.

However, as has been said previously, your stock lens is probably man enough for the job required of it and spending the dinero on sound would probably make a lot more sense.

Just my twopence worth.

CS
Chris ! thank you for great advice
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber View Post
I agree with Chris. The Canon 85mm f1.8 lens is one of my favorites.

You could get some great close up shots (not taking about macro) with this lens and really make the background fall off. It would be a good complement to the 24-105.

Another lens is just a standard 50mm f 1.4.

Both the 85mm and the 50mm are less than $400.

Daniel Weber
Daniel , would they work with 5d ?
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Yes. Any Canon EF lens will work with the Canon EOS 5D Mk. II.

You'll want to avoid Canon EF-S lenses. They will not mount on your camera.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris ! .... with very limited knowledge and experience with lenses .. now i am confused which one to get ... !?
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
You're already on the right site. Go to our sample clips gallery:

EOS 5D Mk. II Sample Clips Gallery Forum at DVinfo.net

The lenses used are usually indicated within each post.

great resource !
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #26
Regular Crew

if u have to choose between these two lenses which one should i go for ?

for a wider look...

Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens or 35mm L f1.4
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #27
Major Player

you could maybe look at the 35 f2.0 and then afford another lens also...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #28
Trustee

Practice makes perfect, and no amount of cameras or lenses will make it any easier until you understand your main tools and the filming with them becomes second nature.
My advice is not to buy any more lenses just yet. First do as much filming as possible with the basic 5D & 24-105mm set-up that you already have. Get used to how different it is to film with a DSLR compared to the XL2. You'll will miss the motorized zoom and AF and a million other things that the XL2 provides, so get used to MF on the 24-105mm lens.
Filming steady footage with an XL2 on your shoulder with 3X lens attached or 20X with IS turned on, is a lot easier than trying to do the same with equivalent lenses on a DSLR.
Try to practice as much as possible with the 5D set-up you have. You could easily video a complete movie using the 24-105mm. Look through all the footage from a few weeks of filming, and then you'll have a better idea of the extra equipment or lenses you might need for the future.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD